Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by FePerk

Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: OB
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Great Cruise - Left A Positive Impression of NCL
We were a group of two couples on this cruise together, and had a terrific time. My opinion of Norwegian Cruise Lines, based on 3 prior cruises, was positive, but I have even higher regard for NCL after this cruise. I've outlined my thoughts on each port as well as some summary comments below.

Ephesus: "Simply Ephesus". Ephesus is a very impressive archeological site to visit - don't miss it.

Athens: "The Acropolis & Leisure". Understand that any excursion is a crapshoot - if you have a poor guide, you're in trouble. We had a poor guide in Athens - the worst I've ever had. We left the group and focused on the "leisure" time as soon as we could, and it saved the day for us. The Acropolis is a must-see destination, but I hope you have a better guide.

Summary comments:

Ship: In great shape, very comfortable, excellent public spaces.

Room: Very happy. We were in 5596, Deck 5, Ocean view picture window. Good size, very comfortable, quiet.

Food: Fine to good. I didn't have anything that was poor. And, I thought the food in the buffet had improved significantly - we ate there a few nights when we were tired from the day. We ate in Le Bistro (excellent - worth it) and Cagney's (good - not worth it).

Crew: Excellent. The ship's captain was outstanding. His daily announcements had the passengers rolling in laughter - very personable and forthright. His handling of the outbreak of Norovirus onboard was proactive, firm, and appropriate. I'm sure some passengers were upset about not being able to serve themselves at the buffet, but the captain's actions prevented the outbreak from spreading. I was on a ship 2 years ago with a Norovirus outbreak, and the lack of action by the captain and cruise line resulted in 40% of the passengers being infected. Kudos to NCL and our captain!

My lessons learned (I hope they are of value to you):

1. If you are going to exchange money on the ship, from dollars to euros, do it once, in large quantities, because you will pay a set fee for the exchange.

2. If you drink wine, buy the wine package. The package price was the best I've ever seen on a cruise.

3. If you drink beer, be sure to hit the 2-for-1 at Henry's Pub from 4-6pm. Buy 6 at a time and stock up for days in advance (they give you a bucket for your cabin).

4. The Windows dining room is quieter than The Garden and easier to get into. Both have the same menu.

5. If you like to be on deck when the ship leaves port, a great place is on Deck 11 or 10, at the very rear of the ship, where you will have a great vantage point for pictures.

6. Want a dark, quiet, private place to hang out and read? Maharini's nightclub, all the way forward on Deck 7, is awesome.

Would I take this cruise again? Absolutely. Would I recommend it to others? Absolutely. My congratulations to NCL and the crew - we had a great time!

Publication Date: 10/11/12