Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by bob342

Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: S9

First Cruise Ever - Great Experience
CHECKIN

We got to the ship at around 3:30pm, so quite late considering the boat was due to depart at 6pm, and we needed to be there by 4:00pm. There were not a lot of people around and we quickly checked in without any options. Our bags arrived in our room very quickly after.

THE SHIP

Amazing. As a first time cruiser, it was amazing to see such a huge ship. We had good weather and barely felt a bump the entire way. I was really worried about getting sea sick as I get motion sickness very easily - especially on a boat. I had no issues what-so-ever. The boat is smooth and everyone I spoke to commented on how smooth a ride it was.

I found navigation around the boat easy.

THE ROOM

We stayed in a spa suite (14133). The room itself was nice, a good size, the shower was amazing. The balcony was a good size, and the position in the ship was good, towards the middle-aft on the 14th floor.

The only negative is that you can hear noise from the deck above through the floor. The deck above is the open pool area. During the day this isn't noticeable, but with music pumping you can feel the entire room vibrate. This wasn't an issue for us often, but there was one night in particular we couldn't get to sleep under around midnight when the music stopped. SO if you are looking to go to bed early - then I would honestly consider another room perhaps further back.

This was a haven room so we got access to those facilities, and also to the spa.

THE SPA

I've never been on a cruise before so I didn't know what to expect with the spa. I was impressed though.

The area was nice and clean, and quite open. You get access to a towel + robe every time you go into the spa. There are changing areas, toilets, showers, a mens/womens only steam room and sauna...and then as you pass into the general area there are day beds to lie on, heated beds to lie on, another steam room and sauna, and a rather large spa with a number of jets and various bits and pieces inside. It's clean and open, and really nice. We got this for free with our room, but I believe you can pay $200 per couple for 7 days, or $30 a visit.

HAVEN ACCESS

We got this as part of our room, and I believe it was a fair bit more expensive. It was great though. We had access to a private dining room for haven guests with a good menu, and fantastic service. We got priority check in & disembarkation. We had a concierge who would book or organise anything for us. We had great interactions with all the staff.

On top of the ship on level 17/18 there was a private pool & spa area, a lounge deck with a bar, and plently of space to lie around. It never really felt crowded at all. While I don't think getting a room with this access is required to enjoy your time on the ship - it certainly did improve it for us.

ENTERTAINMENT

The Blue Man Group, wow. I loved their show, it was fantastic and I would see it again tomorrow if I could.

The other shows, while good, could never hold up to the sheer awesomeness of the Blue Men. Generally though the entertainment was solid, and there was typically something going on somewhere if you were interested, I would just say get involved! There were also plently of bars (some with music) if you would rather drink your evenings away.

OVERALL

I have come from being a slightly paranoid, skeptical person who was worried about travel sickness, to someone who really enjoyed 7 days on a fantastic boat filled with interesting travellers and amazing staff. I honestly enjoyed my time and I think we'll be going on another cruise within the next few years. I really enjoyed the Epic.

Publication Date: 10/09/12