“First Time Cruisers, First time to see Alaska”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas

Kodiaktexas Rhapsody of the Seas 4 First Time Cruisers, First time to see Alaska
Kodiaktexas
Member Since 2012
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
My husband and I are 62 and 59. This was our first cruise. We picked RCI because when reading the cruise books the style seemed to suit us. It did suit us very well. We like to try new things, like a bit of luxary but aren't at all stuffy, we like history and outdoor activities and meeting new people. The cruise was everything we liked. The newly refurbished ship was beautiful. The crew was extremely friendly and attentive. We chose deck 2 mid ship for our stateroom because I get seasick and read that the bottom of the ship and mide ship was best. It was a good fit and although I felt the movement especially when we were on the open sea with the help of Dramamine I did fine. The room was very tiny! We did find a place for everything with careful storage and moving things around as needed. If this was the large oceanview, I can't imagine what a smaller one would be! We did notice that the vacuum was usually stored outside in the hall and this did not seem to be the case on the deck with the more expensive rooms. Dinner was 8:30 which I did not expect to like but it worked out okay. Our waiters pampered us no end. I was amazed at how quickly they learned our usual choices. We usually ate a late lunch and then had a snack around 4. The food was presented so attractively. I expected to love room service but I only used it once. I was so well fed, I never got hungry! I bought the soft drink package on impluse. This was a mistake since I didn't drink nearly enough to make it pay and who wants to lug a mug around all the time. We participated in several of the onboard games and activities and enjoyed them. I learned a lot about cake decorating.
Rhapsody of the Seas Cruises to Alaska
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Large Ocean View Stateroom

H2625
It was a very quiet location. Less rocking than other areas which is very important is you tend to suffer seasickness. Cleaning stuff in the hallway most of the time. I guess they have to put it somewhere. The room is very tiny but pretty and had plenty of storage space. The bed was very comfortable. The view from the window was nice. The T.V. was a flat screen with easy swiveling. The shower was fine although small. It was a sit down vanity built in which was nice.

Hiking
We visited the glaciar and hiked out to the waterfall. Everything was beautiful.
Read 19 Hiking Reviews
Saxman Native Village
We had booked a Kayak tour but it was cancelled due to the very bad weather in Ketchikan. This was a backup tour. We toured the city, attempted to see bears, were successful at finding salmon and seals. The Saxman Native Village was interesting as was learning about totems. I really had no prior interest in totems but really enjoyed the spiel.
Bicycle tour
We rented mountain bikes and idependently road up and down most every street in Skagway. We also rode out to and visited the Gold Miners Cemetary.
Port
We took the hop off and on Red bus tour. It was well narrated, inexpensive and very informative.
Published 10/08/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Rhapsody of the Seas Review
Rhapsody of the Seas Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?