Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by Ginge from Boston

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by Ginge from Boston
Norwegian Dawn
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: MA
Dining 5+

Bermuda - 1st time cruise / fabulous cruise & tour guide
For her 75th birthday I brought my mom on cruise to Bermuda. I was never quite interested in cruising, but for Mom there is little I won't do. As an added bonus, her sister and my cousin both joined our travels. Two sisters (Mom and Aunt), and their two daughters. The trip was truly a gift for each of us.

The ship, Norwegian Dawn, was beautiful and and offered all that we could have anticipated. We had arranged for adjoining mini-suites which afforded all of the accommodations we would need; spacious rooms with ample space for two women's clothes, toiletries and accessories. (This is saying alot, as none of us packed lightly).

The staff could not have been friendlier, or more responsive. I will not say that we are a demanding group, but we nore are we shy to to ask for service. Our porter was always accommodating, friendly and, most important, available. The staff throughtout the ship was equally responsive, and friendly.

The entertainment was in a word: phenomenal. Having never cruised before, I had anticipated the entertainment to be 'less than stellar'. How wrong I was. The entertainment offered varied each night, and was broad in genre. Most importantly, the talent was fabulous.

Food on board was equally fabulous. Complimentary meals were wonderful, and again exceeded my expectations. The first night on board we ate in the Aqua room and had Lobster and filet mignon. Each were succulent and perfectly prepared. We also ate in the three of the specialty restaurants. Cagneys was wonderful, and well worth the small fee for the tremendous meal ****. LaCucina,too was wonderful. But, the best meal we had on the ship was our last night at the Brazilian steak house: Moderno. A five star meal, with tremendous offering and service. I wish we had eaten here earlier, as we surely would have returned.

Excursions: We did book one excursion through the boat to Snorkel Park. Reasonably priced. Great little spot near the boat where you can snorkel, cayak, paddle boad or just swim about. There is a band that plays island music, and snack bar. The only downfall: this is a man made beach. The snorkeling was still great, and we had seen at least 16+ different species of beautiful colorful fish.

Lastly, and one of the greatest elements of your Bermuda experience: our tour guide Lewis Foggo. I did not book Lewis through the cruisline, but found him on the Bermuda tourism site. He is a tourguide certified by the Bermuda govt. I travel quite a bit, and like to tour a city or area on my first day. I've also discovered that it pays to search in advance for a knowledgeable tourguide. What a find! He was friendly, incredibly knowledgeable and seemed to anticipate our questions and needs. From history, botanical, social or cultural - he could answer all of our questions. He also was great for recommending beaches, restaurants, shopping and accommodations. Price was great. Less costly than the packages on the cruise ship, and I would wager worth much more! We had booked him for 1/2 day upon arrival, and were so pleased with his service and pricing, we booked him an additional day for 8 full hours. (If interested: he specializes in island tours of Bermuda, and also offers services for corporate, weddings, parties and street pick-ups. He is a Bermuda Government certified Blue Flag Tour Guide. Email: lewis_foggo@hotmail.com or Call: 441/704-2109.) It seems, I suppose that I am 'pitching' for him. But his service was so good, I would be remiss to not praise him.

Back to the cruise: Our overall experience was wonderful. I mentioned earlier that in the past I had little interest in taking a cruise. That has certainly changed. I will cruise again. You simply cannot have had a bad time on this trip, unless you simply didn't want to. So much to do, such wonderful service ... We were pleased as can be. Mom is busy now planning her next cruise.

- Ginge from Boston