Star Princess Cruise Review by norcalmann: We had a wonderful Cruise

We had a wonderful Cruise

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Francisco

We embarked in San Fransisco. Things went smooth and we were on board within an hour. Our cabin was ready and we met our room steward. We booked an inside cabin and we were pleasantly surprised with the size and layout of the cabin. It fully met our needs. Off to the feeding frenzy before the ship set sail. The horizon court was well laid out and the food was fine. Many choices and all were well presented. We had assigned seating in the Portifino room and our wait staff did a fine/excellent job with service. We did dine in the Sabatini dining room one evening and the food and service was outstanding. The food in the main dining room was good although a time or two missed the mark. One evening I had a double fruit plate for dinner as I found nothing that sounded good on the menu. This could have been a result of food overload.

A couple of observations. There were no hand sanitizers in any of the dining rooms. On a previous cruise on the Sea Princess, hand More sanitizers were placed at the doors of all dining rooms. Not sure why that did happen on the Star Princess. I also strongly recommend that Princess lines place sanitizers at the doors of the casino. There was one lone sanitizer at the casino cage. The slot machines are touched by many throughout the day and night it is imperative that Princess provide access for cruisers and staff in the casino area. On the last couple of days on this cruise the salt and pepper shakers were removed from the Horizon Court tables along with silverware and paper salt/pepper packets were provided. We were informed by staff this was due to some passengers being quarantined for the norovirus.

The staff was very welcoming throughout the ship and did an excellent job accommodating all passengers. The demographics on the cruise was that of a much older crowd. The average was pushing the mid 60's...buffet stewards went above and beyond to keep coffee, iced tea and juice glasses full..used plates were promptly removed.

We had wonderful table mates for our evening meal. Ed, Elenore, Joyce and Norm were the nicest folks. I looked forward to meals with them.

This was my second cruise, both having been with Princess. I was 100% satisfied and will cruise with Princess again and again. Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess Interior Double Aloha Deck

our cabin had bunk beads on the wall...made getting in and out of bed a little difficult until we go used to them being on the wall...then all was okay...lots of storage and cabin space for luggage. Our cabin was A335. the was bit bit of noise from the deck staff at night moving chairs and lounges around but it was most tolerable...we would stay in this cabin again.

Beautiful area of Mexico. Tendered from the ship to shore. Princess does an excellent job with the tendering operation. Swam with the dolphins and it was awesome! Many shops and street vendors..had a drink at The Original Corner Bar. Owned by an American Couple. Very friendly place.

Tendering was well organized. Catalina was very clean and there were lots of shops and things to see. Having lived in California all of my life I had never visited Catalina and it was a very nice port. I am glad this is included on the itinerary.

Hot Hot Hot. To a shuttle from the ship to downtown area. Dropped of at Diamonds International. Now there is a surprise. Town was fun. Did some shopping.

This port was a bit confusing. Immigration check was poorly coordinated. Instructions were not clear. All passengers had to leave the ship and go through immigration before anyone could re-board. There are many passengers on cruises as I have come to find that never get off the ship. These people slowed the process as they had to be rounded up by the ships staff and escorted off for the immigration check. Downtown San Diego was nice. We spent the better part of the morning walking down Broadway. When we got back to the ship we had to wait about an hour in the terminal to re-board.