Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by marybor: Wonderful 14 days.

marybor
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Wonderful 14 days.

Sail Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Flying from Ireland to cruise the Caribbean, we decided that it was worth doing a b2b, back to back, same ship, two different itinenaries. We were delighted to find that the lay-out of the Freedom, mirrored the Navigator, which we cruised on last year. After a flight of over 12 hours, and an overnight in Orlando, we were taken by coach to Port Canaveral and the Freedom. Embarkation was pain-less and quick, with no queues, and we were full of admiration for Royal Caribbean when we saw all the elderly people employed by them. We found our cabins quickly and deposited our items there and made our way for a bite to eat in the Windjammer. Throughout our time on board, the Windjammer never failed to impress. wonderful selection of food and drink and waiters always willing to find a table for us. The only thing which I found disquieting was the constant pressure to buy orange juice or drinks. But then RCI seemed intent on squeezing the last $ out of us!!
The food in the Dining room More every evening was varied and satisfying, and we were served each night with extra-cooked veg. as the veg were always 'al dente'...under-cooked!!We avoided the pool area as much as possible, it was always noisy and boisterous, and we were particularily disappointed in 'Dancing Under the Stars' night, as it was just a noisy boisterous pool party! As for the shore excursions, they were 'much ado about nothing'. Labadee was nice, a beach, warm water and BBQ, but knowing what lay behind the wire fencing, it was obscene. All that food wasted, and ferried back to the ship, when it could have been left for the starving people behind the wire. We booked shore excursions in Jamaica and Grand Caymen, but they had nothing memorable. In Cozumel we did the famous 'Bar Hop'. Dont bother, it was one big NO_NO.On the second week our ports of call were Coco Cay, a mirror of Labadee, but without the wire and what lay behind, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. The latter two were of interest and very beautiful and quite memorable. The best part of the second week was the sailing from St. Maarten to Port Canaveral, which provided us with 84 hours at sea. Wonderful.
Overall, it was a wonderful two weeks. The ship was pristine clean, and we couldn't find anything to complain about. The staff from the Captain down were welcoming and friendly and helpful. We will certainly sail again with RCL but it will be in Europe, no more marathon flights for us. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 3 6365

For the first week I had 6365 and the second week I had 7371. Both were interior and sole-occupancy. I'm afraid to go balcony, as I'll never go back, and can't afford it!!! For myself both were perfect. Plenty of waredrobe space, drawers which I didn't use and a bathroom which was quite sufficient. I couldn't imagine sharing one of these with anybody else. They are suitable only for one person. Both were very quiet with excelllent attendants. I would have preferred not to have to change, and I couldn't see how that could not have been arranged as I had booked 7 months in advance.

Bar Hop

(1)
One bar after another, reading menus about which we knew nothing, and enjoying the sea. What spoilt it for us, was being asked for tips before they left us off at the pier. Wouldn't recommend it to anybody, unless you were very young and wanted to get smashed in the afternoon.
Read 21 Bar Hop Reviews

Here we did the Historical Walking Tours. It way way too hot for us Europeans. They made the most of what they had, but to us it was very recent history. We were glad to get back on board away from the hassle around the port, especially the stilt-walkers.
Read 471 Falmouth Reviews

Trolley Roger

(3)
It was so unimpressive, that I can't recall anything about it. We just went up and down some roads @ 10 miles per hour!!! A waste of time and money.

We were assisted with beach chairs and gave him $5. An hour later he re-appeared with the offer of a cabana and pretended to be a different person, complaining about not being given more money. I would have been very impressed to see the left-over food being left for the starving children. We were told about the school, but I think that feeding the children is more important, at this stage, than education them.
Read 355 Labadee Reviews

Kennedy Space Center

(5.5)
Had no real interest but I'm delighted that I went. I was amazed and informed.

A most interesting journey, and a fascinating history of the island. An insight into the two different sides and the economy of each. Only down-side, and this is just being super-picky, was that we couldn't avail of the beach stop, as our bus was only two weeks old and sported upholstery instead of plastic seats, so didn't want to sit on the seats while wet!!!! Otherwise, a very worth-while excursion.

Island Tour

(5.5)
Wonderful guide, comfortable vehicle and most interesting comentary. Would highly recommend this company. Especially good was the 2 hour sojourne we had at a beach, beside the Best Western Hotel.