Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by Phinzupaz

Member Name: Phinzupaz
Cruise Date: October 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: NO
See More About: Carnival Destiny Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Great time but have a few gripes
My Fiancee and I had a great time on the cruise. I'll describe some of the highlights.

Embarking process: this was fast and easy. We showed up about a hour before the cruise left the port so we had no lines to wait in. We were allowed a bottle of wine each and that helped a bit because of the cost of drinks on board. I rate this part 10/10.

Stateroom and room attendant: we decided to go with a stateroom in the lower deck and we were very happy with the cleanliness of the room. It was very clean and everything was nice. Our attendant was very nice and tentative. Remove the comforter from your bed because I saw them just reusing them on the day we left when they were cleaning other rooms. Gross! Our attendant cleaned our room twice a day and turned down our bed every night. That was pretty nice. Overall I give this a 8/10.

Activities and entertainment: the evening entertainment was ver very limited and the quality was poor. The comedy club was probably the best part. We also enjoyed the casino. It was clean and well run. We thought that a day at sea was going to be fun but we were really bored. The only thing to do was either gamble, swim, eat or drink..

Ports: we landed on our first port, Grand Turk. What a pretty island. We were one of the first people on the island. The downfall is its ver small and the island pretty much relies on the cruise ships for income. We walked over to a nice little local bar called Jacks Shack and had some of the locally brewed ginger beer and a few other cocktails. We hung out there and talked to the American owner. After a while we headed over to Margaritaville. I was looking forward to Margaritaville as its suppose to be the biggest one in the world I had heard. I was looking forward to cold beer and some Buffett music. Instead it was all hip hop music and booty shaking contests. It's was very discouraging. Anyways we ate and hung out in the pool and still enjoyed our selves. I was upset that the boat departed so early but either way it was fun.

The next day we were at sea all day and wished we were visiting another island. You can only drink, eat and swim so much. That night we went to the comedy club and it was pretty funny. If you are thin skinned and can't handle ethnic jokes don't go. The comedian makes fun of every race and stereotypes are meant to be funny so don't take them so seriously!

On the third day we went to half moon cay. Very pretty island. It's owned entirely by the cruise line. We were discouraged to find out our excursion, scuba diving, got cancelled. So instead we reserved a spot that day at the string ray encounter. We went and the guide said the excursion was suppose to be 1 hour. Instead we only spent 20 minutes in the water. When I asked why I wasn't allowed and hour they said the hour included the time they picked us up till the time they dropped us off. Well it takes 10 minutes to get there and 10 to get back. Takes 15 minutes to get dressed and get briefed. The rest of the time you spend in a circle feeding the sting rays 1 squid. The excursion was awful. Don't take it! In terms of the island, they only fee you lunch and it's mediocre. The drinks are limited as its a partially stocked bar. But the beach here is by far better then grand Turk. The other downfall is that they have to boat every one onto the island as the cruise ship cannot dock. Overall, I wish we went to a real island.

On the next and final day we went to Nassau. We immediately went to our excursion, the catamaran snorkeling cruise. This was a very fun excursion and I highly recommend it. 1 hour to get to the reef, 1 hour for snorkeling and 1 hour all you can drink rum punch on the way back. When we got back we shopped and had lunch. It was the most enjoyable island.

Amenities: the ship was nice overall. I thought everything looked nice. It could use a little update. The pools suck and are small and not very nice. The club was not very nice but the dining rooms and the comedy club were nice. The buffet area looked like a run down Fur's. Casino was nice.

Deembarkation: this process went super fast. They tell you to go up and wait in the lido deck but don't. You stand there with everyone and are sweating hot. Instead we stayed in our room until they called our deck. Trust me on this. It better to watch tv in the ac instead of siting up there for 2 hours.

Overall I had a great time. Staff was friendly. Food was mediocre. I recommend this cruise but I wish I had more time at the ports and wish we didn't choose a day at sea.

Publication Date: 10/07/12