Thomson Dream Cruise Review by Tony1878: Roman Epic

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Hi All,
Just got back from my first cruise aboard the Thomson Dream, forgive me if I don't mention all of the in's and out's and details that you really want to hear, but here goes.
It's worth mentioning that i have some mobility problems and as such I was wary of booking some of the excursions as they were described as being tiring on the legs.
Slight delay to begin the holiday, the baggage area was out of order at Manchester so we had to book in and then take the bags to another area and queue again, once we handed the cases over and passed through security, it was literally straight to the departure gate for boarding.
We were running about an hour late, so no big deal really.
Once we collected the cases at Palma, it was straight out to the port for our first glimpse of the White Lady, my initial impression was "i thought this was supposed to be mid - sized?" the ship seemed enormous to me, i know that it's not in the same league as some of the massive cruise More ships, but if anyone cruising for the first time thinks that they are getting on a cross channel ferry...think again.
We were processed and photographed in the terminal in about 20 mins, just gave card info in etc.
We were shown to our cabin (outside Plus, deck 5), couldn't believe how nice it was and fairly spacious, i have stayed in smaller hotel rooms believe me.
By this time it was only about 2 in the afternoon, the weather was glorious, so you have to check out the bar list don't you? It would be rude not to.
We found the Lido deck without any problems, just head to the back of the ship (or aft as us experienced cruisers call it :), all of your favourite drinks are their, plus many more that you haven't tried....yet.
I'm going into far more detail than i originally planned to here, so i will abbreviate or i will be talking you through every minute i was aboard.
First night sailaway was fantastic, all of the entertainment team leading the singing and dancing on the pool deck as we set sail from Palma, i thought that if every night was going to be like this, i won't last the week.
Sunday was a sea day and the Captains dinner in the evening, for all of the guys wondering about the Dinner suit, it's about 60/40 for those wearing them, i have to be honest, i thought the guys not wearing them stood out, it didn't look the same for the ones just in a beige shirt and tie if you know what i mean.....but everyone to their own choice.
As i mentioned earlier, i have some small mobility problems, so i won't bore you with my excursions apart from the following abbreviated versions
Trapani - Very nice town, ship parks right alongside so you can have a stroll through and mooch in the shops and restaurants etc, reasonable prices too.
Naples - again ship parks downtown, not a pretty sight, but most go on the trips to Pompei etc, unfortunately had a bad day here so stayed aboard.
Rome - Did the Rome on your own and used the HoHo bus, had a great day here at my own pace, very tiring day, but more than worth it.
Calvi - I was looking forward as most were to getting off and going to the beach, unfortunately the weather put paid to that by raining, beautiful little place though and i wish we could have looked around a bit more.
Palamos - Beautiful place again, i was surprised really as this is a Costa Brava resort, nothing like what i expected.

Entertainment - What can you say about the entertainment team to do them enough justice? Fantastic shows all week in the Theatre and yes some of them could be west end productions, they continue afterwards in the Medusa lounge and pop up in various locations all week.
Must not fail to mention all of the entertainment crew, Dream Vibe and the Trio playing in Argo (sorry, i'm ashamed to say i forget their name)
Add in the odd waiter singing with the groups and you have an unstoppable show team that keep you amused all week.
Please make a point of going to the Crew Talent show, what a night that was!!

Crew - The friendliest, hard working, smiling, good natured people that you will ever meet, thank you for my drinks, food, choccie on my pillow, towel monkey hanging in my cabin that frightened the life out of me.
I take my hat off to you all, you made my holiday.

Food - 1st class all week, if you are in the mood to be spoiled rotten, eat in the Main Dining room, if you want to chill out, eat in the buffet restaurant

Drinks - We were all inclusive and i think i got my moneys worth :)
I really liked the fact that the all inclusive included "proper drinks" not the usual Local brews served on your hotel all inclusives.
Lots of cocktails to choose from as well.

Have i missed anything?......probably lots, but i don't want to bore you to death in one sitting, i am not going anywhere and if anyone wants to ask a question, i would love to talk about the Dream.

I will definately be going again, and this is from someone who said he got sea sick in the bath. Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>