Norwegian Jewel 5

“Great first time cruise”
Cruise review of Norwegian Jewel

Gibson08
Member Since 2012

Overall Member Rating

I can't imagine a better ship than the Norwegian jewel. Departed Seattle on the jewels last Alaska sailing if the year. From arrival the crew did nothing but make us feel special. I have read some reviews that stated Norwegian cruise line excessively pushes the purchasing of extras on board. This did not seem to be the case, sure they presented offers for pictures, restaurants, drinks, and the duty free shop, but I don't consider their approach as excessive.

All of the food was good to great, we mostly ate at the buffet, however we did dine at cagneys (excellent), the Brazilian steakhouse (good), and Italian ((good). I really liked free style cruising, everything was on my schedule.

We really enjoyed the ports even if it was to just to walk around. In Juneau we went on the glacier and salmon bake ( great time with very friendly people) and in Skagway we went on them white pass railway and liarsville gold camp (train was excellent). I was disappointed more More time was not given for gold panning at liars vile gold camp.

I would recommend cruising on the jewel to anyone, service was great, crew was friendly and welcoming, and the ship itself was top notch. I will definitely cruise with Norwegian again. Less

Norwegian Jewel Cruises to Alaska

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Oceanview Porthole Window

OG5006
Nice size room on in the forward starboard side on deck 5. room had a port hole window that provided all the view we needed, we spent allot of time on deck enjoying the views. The bed was very comfortable, shower and sink exceeded expectations. Toilet could have used a couple more inches of leg room. Everything in the cabin was working and in great condition.

Culinary Tour
I'm not a big eater of fish, but the salmon was very good.

Mendenhall Glacier
What a wonderful view, this was my first glacier. The blue ice is something to see.

What a wonderful place to visit. I would move there if the wife would come along.
Read 1200 Ketchikan Reviews

Embarkation was quick and easy, although we had to wander the ship until the stateroom was ready.
Read 385 Seattle Reviews

Liarsville
Gold camp was ok, I wanted more time to gold pan than was allotted, both the wife and I found gold.

White Pass Scenic Railway
Oh man what a train ride, this could be the most scenic trip I've ever been on.

Disembarkation point. Quick and efficient, customs was easy and plenty of taxi's to take you to the airport or train station.

After Alaska Victoria was a bit of a let down. It's very beautiful but was just not the same.
Read 743 Victoria Reviews

Published 10/07/12

Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review

Norwegian Jewel Cruises to Alaska

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?