Viking Embla Cruise Review by johnl.szabo@gmail.com: Viking River Cruise: Waterways of the Czars

johnl.szabo@gmail.com
Member Since 2012

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Viking Embla Europe - River Cruise Cruises

Viking River Cruise: Waterways of the Czars

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: St. Petersburg

This was our second river cruise with Viking: the first was in southern France. In both cruises, the service and ship were exceptionable. In Russia, the staff was superb. The tour guides who were with us for the duration were well-trained, highly informed, creative, friendly, considerate, and spoke English perfectly. The local tour guides were also excellent.

The food was very good, although it was not as exceptional as on the May 2011 cruise on the Rhone in France. Perhaps that was because we had a French chef.

The optional tours were also terrific, especially the behind the scenes at the Hermitage. The other passengers who went on the regular Hermitage tour missed out on seeing the splendors in the other facility. Also, we got in the museum before the normal opening hours and avoided the crush of August tourists. I would suggest that, during August, Viking try to get all passengers inside these prized places before the opening hours.

I would suggest More that, for Moscow, Viking inform passengers in advance that the ship is a distance from the main city, and tell them how to use the subway system. There is no city that I have been in, including New York and Paris, that has the traffic problems that Moscow has. It took us almost two hours to get to the Kremlin by bus. We could have cut that time by going to the nearest subway stop from the ship. I know that many passengers could not use the subway, but I would still inform them of this option. It would optimized the time to visit Moscow, which thrilled me with its sights and vibrant life. Less

Read more Viking Embla cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Embla Review >>

Amber Room

(5)
One of the real treasures of the trip, a place I dreamed of visiting.

Catherine Palace

(5)
Magnificent. Not to be missed.

Hermitage Museum

(5)
Glorious. We took the behind the scenes tour, which was exceptional. I wish I could have spent a week there.

Peter & Paul Fortress

(5)
Exceptional site. I was touched by seeing the tomb with the remains of the last Czar and his family.

Peterhof Palace

(5)
Everything was perfect, including the weather. The tour inside was wonderful, and watching the fountains being turned on was exciting.

Russian Ballet Show

(5)
Lovely. You should not be in Russia without going to a ballet.