Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by Kelbelle101: Excellent Ship, Excellent Staff and an Excellent Italy!

Kelbelle101
Member Since 2012

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Breeze Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Excellent Ship, Excellent Staff and an Excellent Italy!

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

To give a little information about myself initially: I am in my early 20's and travelled with my boyfriend who is also early 20's. I am British but my partner is Australian and had never been to Europe before so we both thought that a port intensive cruise was an excellent way for him to see all of the sights and have all the amenities of a brand new boat whilst doing so!
Neither of us had travelled with Carnival before, and I have to say (being a keen researcher) I was a little concerned with some of the iffy reviews posted on here about the ship.

Now I have to say, although i'm not the complaining type this holiday was incredible from the ship, to each and every port and definitely enhanced by the wonderful staff aboard the Breeze.

Embarktion: We knew we were possibly shooting ourselves in the foot heading to the port at 1.30 - as we knew this may be the busiest time, but it was remarkably inefficient. Although the queues looked long we were out of the taxi and More eating a Guys burger on the ship by 2.40pm...no complaints at all!

The Ship: Now I cannot pass comment on the previous Carnival decor, but I loved the look of the Breeze, the atrium was dramatic and unique, and all of the individual public areas were very individual. Some people have commented on uncleanliness already but I saw none of this at all and the boat really did feel brand new.

Lido Deck - I agree maybe 2 pools was not enough for the size of the ship, however saying that they were never busy and I think the majority didnt actually use them! The slides were surprisingly good...very quick (especially the yellow one) and the sportssquare was great with crazy golf, and the ropes course.

The Cabin: We opted for an interior cabin as we thought we would only use it for sleeping and showering and landed one in an excellent spot, 9 floor, right under the lido deck and stairs up to the pool. I was concerned about noise but this was never a problem. Our cabin steward was the best, and knew our names within the first few hours and proceeded to say hello everytime we left our room (I actually think he had a secret cupboard on our passageway as he was always there working hard!).

The food: Another big concern of mine judging the reviews was food - but I dont think I have ever eaten so well in my entire life!

Guys Burgers - Very fresh...would have gone back so many more times than once if there wasnt so much other choice to try! Just had a plain cheeseburger, but used pretty much all the toppings and it was delicious!

Blue Iguana Cantina - Had a shrimp burrito and it was outstanding! So prawns cooked to perfection and not too spicy, and all the other additions were delicious - made for the best burrito i'd ever eaten!

Lido Marketplace - Only ate here for brekkie (and one salad bar) again due to phenomenal choice elsewhere. But the breakfast was vast, I dont think I saw all of the stations in 12 days, omelettes were excellent, and the little unique option on the hot food (quiche one day, eggs benedict another) were so yummy. Only disadvantage is they put the milk before the cereal which seemed a little odd but jees that was nothing to complain about! The salad bar again was so fresh and a huge amount of choice it was lovely!

Pasta Bar (Cucina del Capitano)- Im not a huge lover of pasta but my boyfriend and I decided to try this for lunch one day and it was great how you created your own dish, I had a shrimp pasta in the clam sauce and it was really good, and a great way to get some vegetables into you which you can sometimes forget whilst on holiday!

Bonsai Sushi - We are both great lovers of sushi and this really did not disappoint , we were a little hesistant ordering something with a surcharge due to the great included selection, but we were not disappointed and the food not only was excellent but was incredibly good value for money. Ordered the sushi ship and between two that included a miso soup each, 16 rolls, 8 pieces of sushi with 4 different types of fish and a side salad with an amazing dressing on it! - That cost $15 for the two of us...total bargain!

Jimmys BBQ - Tried this on one of the days and thought it was great - went around 1.45 and there was no queue - loved the pulled pork and the creamed corn - My boyfriend was slightly disappointed the the marinated chicken was cold - but we think that may have been as it was nearing the end of service, however it was still juicy and tasty!

Taste Bar - Not sure everyone knew about this even though it was in the funtimes clearly. But was a lovely little addition and meant we could hang on until 8ish to eat dinner each night which worked best to see the shows! I think there was maybe 6 different ones during our cruise - favorite the comfort kitchen one, however all were filled with taste - but were quite spicy!

Sapphire dining room - This is where I was really impressed (now I may have ordered exceptionally well) but I would have between 2 and 4 courses every single night in there for dinner, and not one of the plates I was disappointed with. The presentation was exceptional, the fod hot and cooked to perfection and the choice was insane! My tip: if you like seafood - rder seafood dishes! I was never let down!

Entertainment - Saw quite a few of the comedy shows, and loved them as a change from the usual ovation theatre choices. But I actually really enjoyed the playlist productions too! My favorite I think was Divas, but all got you singing along and tapping your feet. Hasbro the gameshow was fun if a little slow at times, but anything involving Calvyn and John I found hilarious, especially the Battle of the sexes and liars club.

Excursions - We opted to do most places on our own which was never a problem - however we did leave plenty of time to return to the ship. I found the tours to be quite expensive, and we only did two (La Cinta Beach, and Taormina on your own which were purely transfers and we found that it was expensive to use public transport or get a taxi).

Ports - All excellent, my favourite was probably Monte Carlo (as we went up to Eze which is well well worth a short bus trip) but I also LOVED venice! Chris fell in love with Dubrovnik.

Debarktion - Many have complained about John waking them at 5.30am for debarktion this was mentioned quite a lot leading up to that morning and I can understand why it is necessary to do so. We decided to take our bags with us, grab breakfast and was off the boat in around 35 minutes and into a taxi, so so simple!

I think the real key thing to take away from this review is if you go on a (excellent) value for money cruise ship such as this you need to go with a mind to just enjoy every experience. However we have no complaints what so ever and had one of the best holidays I have ever been on. Absolutely loved the Carnival breeze! Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Breeze Review >>

The only reason it is not a 5+ is because we had slightly bad weather. That was the only downside. The city is beautiful and we will definitely be returning to sample some more wonderful food and soak up the culture which runs through this city. My tip is to ask locals - either your b&b hosts or hotel staff where to eat and drink we got 3 recommendations and we are still talking about the food. It has a great atmospher and definitely worth visiting.

Such a picture perfect city. You just need to head towards the old town and you will not be disappointed. The walls look over beautiful coves,and all the orange roof tiles and on the ground the winding streets filled with fountains and street sellers are amazing. Its hard to imagine the distress which would have filled this city only 20 years ago during the civil war. It is an amazing place - definitely the big surprise of our cruise.

I did not actually go to Florence but there was no tab for Livorno or Pisa! So had t select this one! We decided to hop on a train to a walled city called Lucca first which was stunning. Just a little self sufficient community filled with winding street and italian gelato shops and restaurants around every corner. Pisa was our return stop on the train and we literally just walked through to grab the generic 'picture' but as usual it did not disappoint! Its a magnificent work of architecture.

(5.5)
Luckily we arrived during the yacht show, which was pretty breathtaking. The harbour was lovely, and as mentioned in my main review the little village of Eze up on a hill was my highlight. The best moule mariniere I have ever eaten, and just a picture perfect medieval village to get lost in with quaint shops and restaurants.
Read 192 Monaco Reviews

I love Rome! I have ever since I first went! We decided to get the train on our own as I knew it was so much cheaper and really quite simple to navigate! When we arrived at the ancient part we went into the Colloseum and Palatine hill and the forum - taking a guided tour which is really worth it to know the history of the place. Then walked the streets to the breathtaking patheon and trevi fountain (be careful of pickpockets, it is extremely busy!). Finished at the Vatican which is so stunning.

Teatro Greco

(5)
Loved this city. Looking over Mount Etna was stunning and the greek theatre is a real treat. Also a hidden gem is the communal gardens. These were so pretty and we were so happy we took the effort for a visit. We also did the cable car to the beach and found a lovely one with crystal clear seas, and a lovely pasta restaurant.

Venice is how you would expect, filled with romance, and just a pleasure to walk around (get lost if you can, its amazing just wandering the streets!). Found the most amazing coffee shop, their hot chocolates were pretty much just melted choccie! And decided to take a gondola ride down the back canals rather than the grand canal which we did not regret (Head towards the bridge of sighs and we found one there). Venice by night was equally if not more beautiful, especially st marks sq with all of the music of string quartets filling the air. We purchased a 24hr Vapretto pass (30 euros) which was great as it worked like a hop on and off bus, and definitely used it to its advantage. This also included a ticket for Aligunas (a flashier taxi kind of boat) and this was probably the highlight as we had kind of a private tour with our driver and was allowed to stand up inside the boat whilst going along, just like a limo! It was great!
Read 514 Venice Reviews