Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by FB Cruiser

Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: British Isles & Western Europe
Cabin Category: IC
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | British Isles & Western Europe Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
NCL North Atlantic Adventure
This was a late last minute booking for us. I had seen this cruise offered a couple of years ago, and filed it away. When I had to decide on a vacation with little time, I jumped at this. So glad I did.

This certainly isn't a cruise for first time cruisers. The ports are for those looking for something different,and understanding the possible weather in the north Atlantic in late September. That being said, in all the ports the weather cooperated. We had one rough day at sea, but again, to be expected this time of year in the north Atlantic.

As for the Sun. In a word wonderful. This is our fourth time on the ship, the first since the updating. The food has stepped up since our last cruise about two years ago. A great variety, especially with fish dishes, much appreciated. On our last cruise, we ate much of the time at the specialty restaurants because, to be blunt, the main restaurant's offerings were bland, not so this time. As is typical for NCL, the staff was excellent. In particular, the cruise directors staff. My stepson, who traveled with me needs extra attention. The staff recognized this, and went out of their way to make him feel welcome.

I took the behinds the scene tour, which sure gives you a great overview of all it takes to make a great vacation experience. As for the ports, our favorite was Alesund, Norway. We took the trolls path tour. The scenery was drop dead gorgeous. The fjords were amazing. The Faroe Islands had great sea cliffs, while the Shetlands were haunting. In Scotland we went to Loch Lomand. In Iceland, many thanks to Toby from Cruise Critics for putting together a Golden Circle tour. We took three ships excursions, those being in Alesund, the Faroes, and the Shetland. Others were were on our own. Worked out well.

I have only a couple of constructive criticisms. One was the overall temperature in our cabin in particular, and the ship in general. It was warm. When I made a comment, our cabin was attended to. But I heard comments from several others who felt the overall temperature of the ship was too warm. Second, the audio sound level of the production shows being too loud. Again, I heard this from several people. On the behinds the scenes tour about 6 people made comments how they felt the sound was too loud. We were told it was mixed to a level lower than on Caribbean cruises, to a level of 85 decibels. I am a radio engineer, and on my smart phone I have a sound level app. I measured it that night at 98 decibels. Being the last night on the ship, I couldn't come forward and say anything.

In a word, if you have done many cruises, and are looking for something new and different on a great cruise line and ship, jump when this cruise is offered for the one time per year, you will not be sorry.

Publication Date: 10/05/12