Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by labatsman

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by labatsman
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: labatsman
Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: G

Explorer review 9/23/12 Bermuda
We have always flown in to Fort Lauderdale or Miami to catch a cruise .We always get there a day ahead just in case.This was something new. First time we have ever driven to a port.

We live in Ontario about an hour north of Toronto.We did not want to drive the 9-10 hours to get there in 1 day so we made the trip more of a holiday to get there . We left Friday to get to Buffalo .. there is great shopping here for Canadians .We pricelined our hotel and got a good rate at our hotel.

Next morning we head to Parsippany N.J ( thanks goodness for our GPS) drive thru Pennsylvania and are amazed at the mountains we travel thru. Arrive at our destination.. again a great price at the Castle Sheraton, which is 35 mins from the port.

Next morning we are on our way to the Port Cape Liberty. Easy to get to. We get there ( Huge suggestion HAVE A SIGN THAT SAYS WHERE TO GO TO Drop Off your bags)

We drop off the a bags tip the porter and I drive and park the car close to the the Baggage terminal.

Meet up the wife and we breeze thru the sign in . Wait in the terminal for about 30 mins.We board the shuttle bus... you have to... the port is too busy.... on the bus for less than 1 min and we start to board around 11.30.

Very quickly we are on board ..have lunch at the windjammer and off to explore ship. Drop off backpack in room...

We meet our stateroom attendant Kenia from Nicaragua( she is amazing)We have a Ocean view stateroom on the 3rd floor our location is perfect. there are about 18 rooms in our area only ,we are close to elevators... walk to the Palace Theatre for show, 1 floor up to the the deck 4, straight up the Gym and 2 floors up to the promenade..awesome we thought location was great and quiet.

We only went to the MDR for 3 nights.. couple of lunches and a couple of breakfasts. We love the MDR but sometimes it doesn't agree with our schedule.As with many other guests we were inundated prior to the ship with emails re what time we would like to eat.

When we personally went to book at time ..we got a little attitude from the hostess...It seems RCCI wants you to book the same time every night for anytime dining.Depending on our day We can't guarantee that.All the premium times were taken. We did reserve and kinda showed up when we were hungry , normally in a 20 Min window to our time .We were seated Immediately at the same 1 or 2 tables.( 2 person tables) We liked this because we had the same waiter Anthony who was great.

Windjammer /Island grill. Huge positive for us..Most breakfasts we went here and I enjoyed freshly made Omelette's on request.

The fresh cooked food always won out.I actually loved eating here once I understood what they offered.

In the evening you could get freshly cooked Mongolian stir fry, pick your meat beef,pork, or chicken with 10-15 veggies and it's cooked fresh for you.Maybe you want fresh pasta also cooked on the spot, want a pizza they cook fresh or do you like sushi available fresh every night. I was pleasantly surprised with the selection. A couple of times some of the buffet items were cold...very disappointing...Thought maybe their hot plates were not working

In the Busy times( lunch time) it seemed there were not enough wait staff. It seemed they only had time to clear tables and not approach you for drinks or service.

Never ordered room service or Johnny Rockets or Portofino's.

You can never go wrong with anything the Cafe Promenade serves... always good and better coffee available for 24 hours,

Shout out to Washy - Washy he was great,looked forward to seeing him, Surprisingly some guests did not seem to understand the Importance of sanitizing and disinfecting their hands... disappointing... it was good to see him on the last night crew appreciation night in the Palace Theatre. He got a great round of applause from all.

Pool area Filled with chair hogs but never bothered me.. I always went 1 deck up lots of space. RCCI (pay for your towels) loved it there was less chair hogging more chairs available.

Activities were varied and there seemed always something to do.

Service was excellent the staff always wanted to help you

Ship was in great shape for being 12 years old, did notice some of the furniture was older and probably should be replaced.

Entertainment.

Richard Spacey and Leigh were great..The best I have ever seen..My wife said to me, I have never noticed a CD till this cruise. This one I did.She was right.

We thought the cast singers and dancers worked harder in these shows than other cruise lines.The choreography and singing & dancing was excellent.

Loved Home Free... They were great.

Excursions we did our own... see our thread on the Bermuda Port Thread.

Overall a great cruise on a excellent ship. We would book her again in a heartbeat..

I have to do the rock climbing wall next time.

Great cruise... great staff and awesome destination and great Captain(Who I had the pleasure of meeting )

Publication Date: 10/04/12