“Underwhelmed”

Member Since 2012
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Cruises are notorious for nice and well presented food, but this was not what we found dinners to be at the MSC Fantasia. Granted, this is only my 3rd cruise, but I have never heard bad reviews on food at cruises from anyone I've spoken to. Our 5 dining companions shared my opinion. Meat was usually dry and tough and not very tasty, food was overcooked or misrepresented ("King Prawns" were smaller than my pinkie), and looked like they had been sitting under a warming light for while. I could go on and on. Beside the quality of the food, the ship line seems to want to nickel and dime you. I had never heard of having to pay for non-alcoholic beverages at dinner, like coffee, soda, juice and a necessity like water. Buffet breakfast was the best of all 3 meals. Lunch was fair. Because of the amount of choices, you can find something to fill up on; although some of the dishes were plain weird (like finding hardboiled eggs floating in a thick tumeric sauce and calling it "fried" egg in tumeric sauce). Fresh fruit (pineapple and melons) were plentiful and great. Water, coffee, and "juice" were free (yeaaa!). I used quotes because those machines were not dispensing juice, but some kind of drink. Service staff behind the accounting and reception counters were not extremely helpful (not because of any language barrier) and often found them standing around when there were people in line waiting to talk to someone. Beyond these two areas, everything else met my expectations. The ship is nice and kept clean and sparkling. The crew did an excellent job maintaining it. The cabin staff was very good and attentive. To me, they were the best. In summary, I'm less enchanted about cruises as I had been. I will probably go on them again, but it will never be on an MSC vessel.
MSC Fantasia Cruises to the Western Mediterranean

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s MSC Fantasia Review
MSC Fantasia Cruises to the Western Mediterranean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?