Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by bubba88: Absolutely pleased as punch and so pleasantly surprised...

bubba88
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Spirit Hawaii Cruises

Absolutely pleased as punch and so pleasantly surprised...

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Vancouver

I was so surprised! From embarkation which was a breeze through the lovely dinner that night in the Steakhouse through the next 12 days, I couldn't find a thing to complain about (except my travel companion).

I was traveling with a shared room companion who was so "Carnival negative" that I finally had to just draw the line. I am from NC and I have heard all about the Carnival party ships during Spring break. But I always always always travel with an open mind and I read all the Spirit reviews, did extensive research and saw the cabin on U-tube and boarded with a sense of "This is gonna be fun!!!!!!!!"

And it was. The ship was lovely. Not gaudy, Los Vegas as I was told, but to me, just lovely. I love all the old world open atrium and grand staircases and glass elevators. Just absolutely loved the atmosphere, friendliness of all staff, open floor plan and those quiet corners where I could hide.

The cabin was huge and the balcony a delight. I loved the More ship and the Carnival philosophy so much I purchased 2 future cruise certificates and would have purchased more if I wasn't broke.

How the staff remembered my name I don't know, but they did. They stopped to talk when in the Lido and I really appreciated that as the supervisors weren't harassing the staff to "get back to work" like NCL does when a staff member takes time to answer questions or just share his new baby pictures. We see the staff more as individuals this way, get to know them a wee bit, and of course tip better!!!!!!!!! One of my dinner table mates even bought baby clothes for a new papa ......... The staff are the best ever and just so friendly and sincere.

This was my first cruise were nobody got a wee little tummy virus and that is fantastic!! So no saran wrap around the buffet.........ye ha!!!!!!

Best entertainment I have seen so far. And the lady who directed the dining room entertainment??? You rock girl!!!!!!! Never seen dancing table waiters before. When Carnival advertises fun, you guys mean FUN!

Thank you for an outstanding vacation and experience. I went to the steakhouse where the meal was prepared to perfection, did the behind the scene tour and met Chef Daniel and enjoyed that very much and went to Chef Daniel's grand dinner and ate too much. The Chef does wonders with plating and "dots." He seems to like the "dotting"............I had escargot at several meals, salmon was always available, the cappuccino after dinner was a treat (some other cruise lines are not charging for this.......) and the best potato salad on a salad bar I have ever had and I am a Southern gal weaned on potato salad.

There is a cruise line for everyone. For me, I now have more than one favorite and I have literally moved Carnival to the top of the heap. I still adore my HAL cruises and loved Celebrity and NCL, but each is different. Carnival actually had my fat self up on the stage learning the hula and enjoying it and I didn't feel "silly" in the least. I just had a wonderful time. I wanted to hear nothing negative or have any ugly experiences, so I just pulled all the wonderful joy of the ship around me and just had a fantastic vacation. Thank you so much for making my once in a life time trip to Hawaii so memorable! Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Suite Empress 6329

We stayed in cabin 6329 with was the far aft cabin on the starboard side. I personally thought it was a lovely cabin. Carnival, please email me what your mattresses were. I slept like a baby and was the best mattress I have slept on in years and want one for my home!!!!! Tons of cubby holes and drawers for stuff. Two large closets. My cabin mate complained not enough hangers but I had tons on my side of the double closet so don't know where hers were. Great water pressure in the shower and it was a hand one as well which was great. There were like 6 floor to ceiling windows so tons of natural light and gorgeous moonlight as we had a full moon during our sailing. There is an entry hall leading into a living room. You go left through another hall into a full sized bedroom which we had split into twin beds. Off the left hallway is a dressing area with makeup mirror and about 5 drawers in a vanity and they a separate bathroom with dual sinks and a whirlpool tub. Tons of room for avoiding a cabin mate or for a lovely lovely balcony party with fellow cruisers!!

(4)
We took another group arranged tour through Ricky's Tours. It was very interesting. I didn't know that Mary Lou did tours here as well or would have liked theirs better but Ricky did a great job.
Read 271 Hilo Reviews

My best memory of Honolulu is it was hot as you know what with 100% humidity. We did a Circle Island Tour through VIP tours after getting off of the ship and we went to the North shore of the island and if I ever go back, that's where I'll go. It was stunning. I stayed one extra night after the cruise and went to the zoo and it is a peaceful area about 2 blocks from the beach.
Read 265 Honolulu Reviews

On this island a group of us had hired a local Photography guide to take us to specific locations for taking photographs. What a fantastic experience! I was crawling out on boulders and taking pictures and never even thinking I was getting old and not so quick on my feet. Had a fantastic time. Lunch was at a local restaurant specializing in pepper sauce chicken that was absolutely delicious. Service size way to big though!
Read 237 Kauai Reviews

(5)
I actually went on a tour that a group I was traveling with arranged and it was very nice. I did speak with other travelers who took Carnival sponsored tours and were very pleased with them. We tendered and the sea was rough. The cruise director, Stu, made numerous announcements about the time involved and the use of "patience." Actually, everyone was. Patient. How weird is that??? Numbers were given for tenders so things went very smoothly. When I was able to get off, the tender dropped about 3 feet and I had to wait for it to "bob" back up. There were like 4 gorgeous (!!!!!) crew, 2 on tender and 2 on ship, to help you on and get you seated!!! Quite pleasant, thank you very much. Maybe I am not suppose to say this, but Carnival does have the most gorgeous security guards............ The tour was through Mary Lou's and the guides name was Ken and he was so laid back and knowledgeable. Enjoyed this tour very much.
Read 166 Kona Reviews

(4)
Did the Road to Hana. This is a looooooooooooooooooong tour!!!! It is gorgeous and beautiful scenery, but if you have the time and the ability to arrange it, I'd rent a car for the day and bag going with a tour group. We had established stops and if I was driving there were so many other interesting places I would rather have stopped. My first plan when I booked this cruise was to rent a car and drive but I bowed to the will of the group and just joined a tour. Tour was great and being with fellow travelers was great, but if I had to do it over, I'd book the car and fine 2 or 3 other travelers to split it with me and just go on my own. It really is quite doable. If you can drive in Ireland, you could drive this with eyes closed. The meal was fantastic though. If you are doing this tour through Valley Isle Tours, your lunch may be in a garden so if you are allergic to bees or flowers, be sure you have the appropriate medication with you. I was stung by a bee within the first 10 minutes and eaten alive by mosquitoes. My fault. I forgot mosquitoe repellent even thought it is posted a hundred times to bring it!!!
Read 265 Maui Reviews