Westerdam Cruise Review by ChasingSunshine

Member Name: ChasingSunshine
Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
Had a good time and enjoyed Alaska
I went on this cruise with my mom. Embarkation was approximately 15 minutes. We were in stateroom 4092, which has a partial ocean view. We had a nice, ocean view out of half the window. We could hear the elevator ding when our tv wasn't on, but that didn't bother me. Our room was always kept clean and the room stewards got us anything we requested.

We had excursions at each port and not a lot time left over to explore the towns afterwards. We went whale watching, to the Raptor Center, on a sea otter excursion, and I went on a float plane ride. (I'll try to post a review about my excursions in the Alaska forum.)

When we were on the ship, I went to a wine tasting, a mixology class, a photo class, and a towel animal class. I also went to see some shows. My mom even won a bracelet at one of the give-aways.

My mom used the gym around 6:00 AM most days. She said there was sometimes a wait for the treadmills since they were allowed to be used for one hour at a time.

My least favorite part about the Westerdam was the food. Some days a dish might taste really good and if you ordered it the next day, it would taste bad. Sometimes food would be over cooked and hard. I saw a few people send their food back during dinner. I also saw a lot of people piling food on their plates at the buffet, so I know everyone has a different idea about what they like.

Overall, sailing on the Westerdam was a good time and I thought Alaska was beautiful. Of course, it probably helps that we had beautiful weather throughout our trip. We were told we could leave the ship at 8:00 AM and we walked out, grabbed our bags, presented our customs forms, and met our ride in about 15 minutes.

Publication Date: 10/03/12