Queen of the Mississippi Cruise Review by loverofrivers: Change of Itinerary Due to Lock Closure Not ACL's Fault

loverofrivers
Member Since 2011

Change of Itinerary Due to Lock Closure Not ACL's Fault

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: USA
Embarkation: Other

A couple of weeks ago on September 15th,I boarded the Queen of the Mississippi for a cruise to St. Paul, MN on the Upper Mississippi. Unfortunately, a barge had hit a lock causing the lock to be closed for needed repair and cleanup. This was no fault of the boat. ACL hoped that the Queen of the Mississippi could leave St. Louis on the 16th but still the lock was not opened. The itinerary had to be changed and so the QM turned around and headed down to the confluence and headed up the beautiful Ohio River. A change of itinerary is always a let down to the passengers but not us. We enjoyed the cuisine, the beautiful lounges, the entertainment and the tours.

Some of the passengers including myself, are in the Golden Age bracket but that doesn't stop us from having fun. It's wonderful that the crew gives that extra help needed for those who have disabilities. Our staterooms were very large, housekeeping took excellent care of our rooms, loved the regional menu choices and More appreciated the entertainment. I loved hearing from the riverlorian about the area we were cruising.

I'm a traveled cruiser so I look at every day as an adventure. I look forward to my next cruise on the Queen of the Mississipi which I booked for 2013. The crew were wonderful to us. Hope I see them again. It's not easy on the crew including navigation when an event happens such as the lock closure. I also enjoyed the Paddlewheel Lounge where you could look through the windows at the red wheel splashing through the water and several times I heard the calliope play. There is complimentary snacks and beverages in this lounge which I enjoyed often plus homebaked cookies throughout the day. I also loved the complimentary cocktail hour at 5:30 pm every day in the Magnolia Lounge. I don't normally drink alcohol due to my asthma problems however, the bartender made me delicious "virgin" daquiries and pina coladas.

The Ohio River is truly "beautiful" as the song says. I'm glad I had the chance to cruise on this river and loved going to Paducah. The Quilt Museum is amazing. Even the husbands who were at first reluctant to go to museum, were glad they went.

I'm a widow who travels by herself. I never felt lonely. It was wonderful to meet so many new friends. Some of them booked the same cruise that I did for next year. It will be fun to see them again.

There may not be a casino or a "rock climbing" wall but that is why some folks like the big ships. I've also cruised on large ships however, my preference is cruising on riverboats such as the Queen of the Mississippi. Less

Read more Queen of the Mississippi cruise reviews >>