Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Mikey7989: A Legend-ery Cruise!

Mikey7989
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

A Legend-ery Cruise!

Sail Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

I boarded the Carnival Legend sailing out of Tampa around 12:30 pm and was on the ship within 15 minutes. It was a very quick check-in and boarding process. The Lido Deck with the buffet and pool area were very crowded as expected on embarkation day. Rooms were ready at 1:30 pm when the crowds started thinning out.

There are obvious signs of rust on the ship and wear and tear, but otherwise the ship was beautiful. On the last sea day sailing back to Tampa, my cabin-mate and I took the "Behind the Fun" tour and it was absolutely worth the price. It is an almost four hour tour that goes through out the ship. Photos are also taken in the galley and on the bridge, and delivered to your stateroom that evening at no additional charge.

We had Late Dining which really worked out great. The food in the dining room is good and portions are generous. Buffets were also good and well stocked for both breakfasts and lunches. There were a few different selections for More breakfast throughout the week, but my favorite were the egg quesadillas! They were great.

The shows in the Follies Lounge were good as were the comedians through Punchliner in the Firebird Lounge. The entertainment in the other parts of the ship weren't as great as I've experienced on Carnival in the past.

We also scheduled a Cruise Critic Meet Up on the first sea day, which was a great way to meet others on the roll call. For a small fee per person, Carnival offered an open bar for an hour with several different drink choices and snacks.

The Serenity Adult Area for guests 21 and older is on the aft Lido Deck. It's nice, but as one fellow cruiser said "it's a bit too serene." I think some soft music in the background would have added to the ambience. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Panorama 8190

I joined two ladies from my dinner table for Cave Tubing which they scheduled online with a private company, significantly cheaper than what the ship offers. After meeting up in the port as scheduled, we were taken to a van with two other passengers from the Legend already in the van who were relieved to see fellow Legend passengers. The drive to the caves was about 90 minutes in which "Junior" gave a lot of information about the city and life in Belize. Once we arrived at the caves, we were given our helmets, tube and life jacket to carry to the caves. I will say that the walk through the jungle is not for the faint of heart. It is very long and arduous because they actually take us to the entry of a second cave that the cruise ship tours don't. Its well worth it in the end! The tubing down the river was great. It was very relaxing just to lay back on the tube and let the river, and Junior, do the work of keeping us in line. While the caves were different than the ones on the Amazing Rio Secreto, they were still very beautiful and full of details. After floating through the second cave, we stayed in the river for a good ten minutes before heading back to turn in our equipment. We were taken to a small restaurant where we experience the local food once again which was very delicious!

Cave Tour

(5)
Excellent excursion! We rode the ferry over to Playa de Carmen, boarded a van for the drive out to the Rio Secreto compound and then ventured down to the caverns which were discovered in 2006. The caverns have to board walks, so we were outfitted with wet suit, life jacket, wet socks and lighted helmet for the 1 1/2 hour journey through the caverns. Some areas require wading through, some swimming, some ducking and crouching to get through certain area but it was an awesome privilege to be one of the first to ever tour through the caverns! After a delicious local lunch, photos were available for purchase and we were taken back to our ship with the memory of a lifetime!

Turtle Farm

(5)
The Turtles, Turtles & More Turtles Deluxe was appropriately named not only due to the thousands of turtles at the farm but also the lunch that was included with the Deluxe Tour. I had been there once before when there were just a couple of tanks that held the turtles, but the park/farm has really grown since! Even though it was quite rainy the day we were in port, the trip out to the turtle farm was worth it just to experience its massive growth with underwater viewing areas, scuba diving and many other actiivites.

I booked a private tour before departing for the cruise, and was given exact directions on how to find the tour guide outside of the Mahogany Bay cruise port. Once I met up with him, I recognized three ladies from the Cruise Critic Meet Up who were going on the same tour. There were two others that joined us, so we were a nice group of 7 with a great driver. While the driver knew the area well, it was very difficult to hear him as he spoke very softly. I sat in the back just trying to take in all that Roatan had to offer. While there is obvious poverty, there is also obvious wealth sometimes within just a couple of blocks of each other. While the tour was a Fun & Sun Tour, the overcast skies didn't make for a very good back day. We asked our driver to drop us off at the beach for a few minutes rather than the scheduled two hours which worked out great with everyone. He was very accommodating and was able to take us back to the ship ahead of schedule. The absolute HIGHLIGHT of the tour was the Monkeys! There were two baby monkeys in which we were able to step into the cage. We fed them with sunflower seeds. It was really a great experience! Over all I really enjoyed the time in Roatan and the tour that we took. It certainly broadened my eyes beyond what remains within the walls of Mahogany Bay!
Read 1660 Roatan Reviews