Costa Magica Cruise Review by alhamn: Better than expected.

alhamn
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Costa Magica Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Better than expected.

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

First the very bad: All our 3 excursions were cancelled. With very short notice. (No other English-speaking had booked.) As we are much more interested in the ports, than for example night shows and sunbeds, this made us very disappointed.
Second, bad things of minor importance: 1. Breakfast- and lunch buffet were very crowded. After some days we find places to slip away from the most busy places. 2. Few of our fellow passengers understood English. 3. Coal flakes from the chimney were falling down on our stern-balcony.
Now to the positive (including surprises): 1. Everything in our cabin was of very good quality and function. 2. The English speaking staff saved us from being totally isolated. And they were overall fantastic, both competent and friendly. 3. Food was very good. Both well cooked and high quality ingredients. (my mother was cook to the former Swedish king.) 4. The pool-area on the ship was very attractive, with its levels. 4. The "drink-package" was a very good More bargain. Something like 20€/day for everything to drink. (Except the most expensive wines/drinks.)
Naturally I compare this Costa-cruise, to the two on similiar ships I've made recent years. One was with Royal Caribbian (RCCL), Splendour of the Seas, the other was with Holland America (HAL.) MS Eurodam. And as I see it, all three give you, all in all, similar quality. Costa is cheaper, but have a more crowded ship. HAL offers more exclusive meals. My conclusion is that you get what you pay for. In future, I can choose any of them. When money is no problem, I prefer HAL. But if I want a wonderful ship, I choose the old Splendour of the Seas. Less

Read more Costa Magica cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Costa Magica Review >>

Cabin review: Costa Magica Oceanview with Veranda Perugino Deck 8439

Our stern cabin had a problem with coal flakes falling down on the balcony. But nevertheless I think I would choose it again. Large balcony, view up to the sky and to both sides. Just marginally more expensive than a side balcony.

Barcelona is Barcelona. Everything is possible there. Too short time.

I'm happy to say that this Island was a great disappointment. So I will not do the mistake to take a charter.

The ship docks near the very fascinating "old town". Took a stroll there.
Read 652 Naples Reviews

Just a stroll in the town is enough for me. I've been there many times.