Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by robbob1833: A Fantastic Cruise Itinerary

A Fantastic Cruise Itinerary

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Harwich

DINING ~was good. We had late seating, we could not get early, and I actually enjoyed seeing the shows before dinner. Food was good, always wish for better. We ate at Chops - Fantastic and Porotfino- very good. The food choices were different than ships I have been on before, probably due to this being a transatlantic cruise. The Windjammer and Seaview Cafe were both very good.

SERVICE on the ship was fabulous. They really went out of their ways, everyone. Our waiters (Sixto & Igor) & Cabin Steward (Ana) were fantastic. Leigh was a great Cruise Director, we stopped him with a question and he phoned our cabin with the answer. The Guest relations desk was helpful and fixed all problems I inquired about.
The bartenders were all great. Lorenzo @ Champagne Bar earns a special shout out.

ENTERTAINMENT was okay. We saw most shows and they were enjoyable. The couple who did the magic show were outstanding as was a pianist.

FITNESS area is very good, More gets a bit crowded but if you go early it is fine. Nice Staff.

Bar Entertainment ~ Very enjoyable. A guitarist who was so enjoyable.
The Trivia games were a hit. Since our last port was canceled due to weather conditions the trivia games
were quite crowded as we had six straight days at sea.

The Centrum (atrium) of the ship is really too small, as is the Solarium (Indoor Pool). I bet on warmer climate cruises where more people are outside, it is fine, but it was most difficult at times to find seating in both. We did have a few days on the Atlantic where the temperature was warm enough to find swimsuit clad cruisers enjoying the pool.

Captain Stig ~ Second time sailing with him. He is awesome. With our ships accident he kept us informed of everything. We were never worried for long if we could continue to sail. The injured crew member was on all our minds and Captain Stig kept us up to date on his condition, which was good which created a cheer to be let out all around. Later a crew member was ill and needed to be hospitalized, the Captain kept us informed of his evacuation.

The average age on this cruise did appear to be 65+. I also would note this cruise is a dressier one than our previous 7 cruises. They say the Transatlantic Cruises are like that, people tend to dress nicer even while at sea days. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 8542

Our cabin was fine. We had been on this ship before so knew what to expect. As always you wish you had more storage. Our number one biggest complaint was the newly installed low wattage hair dryer which I found to be a joke. There was a fair amount of under bed storage for our three smaller size suitcases. A good number of hangers. The bathroom while tiny has a pretty good size shower. The balcony door was not in good shape, the weather wear on the outside door handle made it difficult to open.

Old Jameson Distillery

(3)
We did the hop on hop off bus in Dublin. it was nice to see the city that way. We hopped off at Jameson Distillery and took our pre booked tour there. While it is a very nice looking building the tour was a bit disappointing. Mostly due to the fact it is not a working distillery only a tour. I think in Cork there is a working plant, but we choose to visit Kinsale while at the port and we are so glad we did. We did enjoy the sampling of Jameson at the end. We also enjoyed visiting The Brazen Head for lunch and beer, the oldest pub in Ireland!

We took a tour booked through cruise line to Beaches of Normandy. While it was an extremely long day it was very rewarding and interesting, Lots of emotions. Visiting the beaches was moving in itself but the American cemetery was overwhelming and so beautiful. I love that it is kept up so nice. We had lunch at museum, it was a bit disorganized but the food was very good and it did include some good wine.

Blue Lagoon

(5.5)
Absolutely loved this. Blue Lagoon is magical and really was everything I hoped it would be. I only wish we had blue skies that day, it would have been even prettier. It was a "zoo" upon arrival but our tour guide took us around the long lines. "Once again, very confusing to find changing locker and way out to lagoon, but once in Lagoon - heaven! Highly recommend. I do agree if you hear going under the water is not good for your hair, I did it and paid the price. Our tour guide was awesome. Even joined us in the Lagoon. I LOVED the swim up bar.

Golden Circle

(5)
Both tours we took in this port were amazing. The Golden Circle was quite long but great. No regrets. We enjoyed the Gullfoss Waterfalls, just beautiful but it does NOT rival Niagra Falls as they say it does. We visited the beautiful Thingvillir National Park, very fun walk. Very cold, dress warm! The Geyser area was very pretty but did not rival any geyser we have in CA. We had a nice lunch (seafood) and met some nice folks at lunch. Fantastic tour guide!