Oosterdam Cruise Review by waymorfun: Left much to be desired

Left much to be desired

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This was our 2nd Alaska cruise but the first time we had ever sailed with HAL and while none of it was horrible it just wasn't anything special either.

The food was ok in the Vista restaurant nicely prepared and served, the food in the Pinnacle was great excellent quality, taste and service, well worth the extra charge. The food in the Lido was just not good, mostly cold, not enough options and the hours of operation not very accommodating. The only station open through out the day was pizza and pasta and it never changed. The place is always a little trashy too, lots of table left with dishes too long, food on the floor not picked up just not well taken care of.

The room steward was great but too often in other areas of the ship the service was spotty at best and downright sullen at times.

The ship is older and definitely showing its age, chipped and cracked, needing paint little wobbles here and there, our door would not shut tight so we had to put up More with a wind noise even after they "fixed" it.
On the other hand the bed was the best we have ever had on any cruise and the bathroom while old and tacky was well laid out and had a great shower, too bad the tub didn't drain while you showered.

The on board shops are very limited in selection and prices seemed high even for a cruise.

The smoking area is not well ventilated so there is a very strong odor all around on that floor.

The daily activities were very repetitive and not that interesting.

The show lounge had some very good singers and dancers and they put on some nice shows, there were also 2 comics on the ship. They were not to my taste but I must say that everyone around me seemed to be loving them. The acts in the bars and other lounges were uniformly weak and not worth wasting your time.

Two things that really bothered me the most is the ports of call and the time allotted to you in each of them. We spent all day in Tracy arm and then didn't see the glacier a real waste of time. We had a reasonable time in Juneau and Sitka but only about 4 hours in Ketchikan and then the biggest disappointment of all was getting into Victoria 3 hours late and having just about 2.5 hours to try to see one of the best walking and shopping cities in the world, and it was late at night. I found it very interesting that the NCL Pearl was still tied up at the dock when we left Ketchikan and yet was already tied up at the dock when we got to Victoria. I don't know whether they got lost or were trying to save on fuel.

The second thing is kind of related to the first and that is that there are no comfortable chairs anywhere on this ship. Because of the itinerary we spent a lot of time on the ship, in fact I finished 3 books from the library, but could not find a chair or couch anywhere to sit more than an hour or so.I guess that is not entirely true, the ship has a nice small movie theater and the seats there were pretty good, they got a lot of use from the movie goers.

Getting on and off the ship during the ports of call was very slow, but embarkation and disembarkation was handled very well, quick and smooth.

If a friend asked me to recommend this cruise I would tell them all of the things to expect but probably still suggest they go if they got a great price. I think as long as you understood what this ship experience is you would be all right. Most of our cruises have been on Celebrity and they are just a better more polished experience. Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Oosterdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade 7002

Our cabin was the most forward cabin on deck 7 port side, it was not a great layout but almost everything worked. The door to the veranda howls because it can't be closed tight enough and they did try to fix it. In this cabin you can feel and hear every movement and wave on the ship so if anyone in your party is concerned about seasickness this is not the cabin for you. It has limited visibility also due to a wing above the cabin on deck 8 which makes taking pictures or seeing mountains a challenge. It's not that far to the elevator or stairs so that is good. The couch is a hide a bed and very uncomfortable so if you want to spend time in your room it is the bed or nothing. The TV is in an awkward position to watch from bed but we hardly ever have it on so no big deal to us. The bed is the most comfortable one I have ever had on a cruise and the steward was a dream.