Star Princess Cruise Review by Milenka17: Best Cruise So Far!

Milenka17
Member Since 2010

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Star Princess Alaska Cruises

Best Cruise So Far!

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This was our 6th cruise with our extended family (6 adults & 1 teenager).

Embarkation was easy. I am not sure how long it actually took, but we never stood in a ling too long, so I would guess maybe 30 minutes. We were supposed to get in line at 2p but our hotel only took us at 9a or 12p. So we got there around 12:30p but got in line no problem. SIDE NOTE: We booked with Holiday Inn Express that had a cruise package where they take you to the ship and pick you up after cruise and take you either to hotel or airport- EXCELLENT DEAL

We went straight to our cabin and I cannot say enough how AWESOME this cabin is! It is HUGE! It is the biggest cabin I have ever had and we have had balconies, outside cabins and teeny tiny inside cabins. It is a handicap room that we were assigned almost a year before sail date. Best cabin EVER! It is at the back of the ship so it's a walk to get to anywhere except our dining room was 2 floors down, so that was super convenient. More Arnold was our Cabin Steward and he was pretty great. He always said hi to us and always managed to get our room straightened while we were away at breakfast and dinner. He liked him a lot.

What really made our cruise was Jose the Head Waiter! He was amazing! My husband is gluten-free which I had put in his profile online but hadn't followed up any other way- not sure if you are supposed to or not. But at first dinner we mentioned the gluten-free menu, Jose came over and took care of my husband the ENTIRE trip. Everywhere we went, whether it was Tea Time or Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, Jose was there for us! He surprised my husband (and by the end of the trip, the whole table) with dessert every night. He would spend a lot of time talking with us and making us feel special. He really made our trip awesome!

Alaska was really cool! We only booked one excursion through the ship and it wasn't all that. We did a tour with panning for gold in Skagway. Not worth it for the price. Although the tour bus guide was one of the best ones I have had, his name was Shane. He was so informative and funny. I do think it would be worth doing an excursion with every stop as each stop is kinda the same, cute little towns with shops. I would have liked to do other things. Views are amazing though.

There is a scenic cruise through Tracy Arm Fjord. Luckily part of our party had a balcony and we really enjoyed the peaceful and beautiful time through there. Lots of great pictures and SO glad to have a warm room to go into when it got too cold. A balcony would be a good thing to have on this trip. During the scenic cruise there was a narrator that described everything, it showed on the TV so we could hear it in the room too.

Disembarkation was easy enough too. Its hectic, but not that much trouble. Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess Interior Double Emerald Deck E717

E717 & E716 are the best inside cabins on the ship! Even bigger than a mini-suite! It has a desk, then a bedroom and sitting room, 2 TVs, HUGE bathroom. Tons of closet space, I could not use it all for the 3 of us. It has a couch that turns into a bed. It is at the back of the ship so quite a walk to theater and things at the front, but it is right by elevators. Also it is REALLY loud when the ship is coming into a port, but worth it for the comfort of the room.

In Juneau we took the Mt. RObert Tramway to the top, did a neat hike (only 0.5 mile), visited the Nature Center then back down. We paid $16 a person (they advertise $8 but it's only one way) to go to Mendenhall Glacier. Which was really cool. But we did that at 4pm, and the last pick up is at 5pm, so we didn't have a lot time there, but you don;t need a lot of time, just a little more than that so you aren't rushed to walk to the glacier and back in time.
Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Ketchikan: When you get off the ship there is a line up of tour guides, we ended up paying for one of those. $40 per person. The tour guide was ok, I think he was kind of lazy and didn't want to walk much (and I am not much of a walker myself). On our way he spotted a bald eagle and pulled over so we could take pictures. Then we were taken to a place to look for bears (no bears) then to a waterfall (on the side of the road) then back to look for bears. Then to Saxman to see the totems. But he didn't want to walk around talking about the totems, we just stood in one spot looking at all of them. Then, as a bonus I guess, he drove us around town where we did learn some interesting things. Then he dropped us off in town. We did end up at the Asylum where we had a beer sampler while we enjoyed the beautiful weather we had outside on the patio. That part was awesome. The town is pretty cute

Cultural Show

(3)
We were taken to Liarsville, which had a little history show with music and entertainers and the area was made to look like it would during that period in time.

Gold Panning

(3)
We panned for gold in Liarsville, but it was a little silly. You were given a pan that they put gold in and you had to get gold out using the techniques they showed you. We got a few flakes.

Scenic Drive

(4)
The Bus Tour part of the excursion was the best part. The drive Shane was so informative and entertaining! One of the best tours I have had. We drove about an hour (30 minutes each way) where he told about these parts, shared some stories. Went into Canada and turned around. Stopped for pictures, one with the Welcome to Alaska sign