Queen of the Mississippi Cruise Review by cruznfromms: Queen of the Mississippi - Sept 15 - Roundtrip

cruznfromms

Destination: USA
Embarkation: Other

American Cruise Lines -- Queen of the Mississippi -- St Louis roundtrip 9/15

Day 1: St Louis:

Already had to clean the bathroom door something red all over NOT sure
what it was and I'm not sure why they couldn't have cleaned it.

Cabin - SMALL very small. The decor was BLAND and the room looked like a cheap hospital room right down to the square overhead fluorescent light. All that was missing was a monitor or two next to the bed. NO curtains just mini blinds. There was nothing private about the veranda you could see anyone on either side of you and hear all their conversations.

Bathroom - don't even ask even smaller. The light in the shower was full of dead bugs which is not something you want to see first thing in the morning.

NOW the good news.. WE are stranded in St Louis.. some thing has
happened on the MS north of us and we can't leave.. Don't know how long we are here for or if we are even leaving. HATE it so far. More They have told us nothing and from what we have heard from the crew the accident happened on Friday meaning that they knew about it before we boarded this morning. People have asked to get off and have been told that there would be an update by 9:30AM tomorrow. See note below about what time we left (7:30AM) so all those people were PISSED.

They should have given us the chance to make other plans or updated us on what was going on. NOTHING ever came at any time.

Day 2: St Louis -- To Chester:

Well here it is day 2 and we finally set sail at 7:30AM. We are sailing
south to NO WHERE until they can tell us if we can sail north to our ports
of call. There are no updates. More or less rumor mill at the moment.

As of last nights dinner I am the talk of the boat already. I GOT NOTHING to eat.. they ran out of food. And what they did serve everyone was HORRIBLE. You should hear the complaining and more complaining. For example: The menu said Oysters Rockefeller see the s at the end of the word OYSTER WELL you only got ONE oyster and it was so small it would fit on your finger nail. Desert was a joke too. Everyone was still talking about the CREAM PUFFS from Wal-Mart.

Breakfast was good though Eggs Benedict but the quiche get ready for this,
was the size of a half dollar.. It was that small.

And if you wanted a ham and cheese omelet you could NOT have it. They used
up the ham for the quiche.. Can you believe that one? NO HAM and we just left.

THIS IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY WE PAID... We have seen nothing but muddy old man river and rusty barges and the level is so low it makes it even uglier.

They make you pre order for lunch and dinner in the morning so they know how much to make for the day. YEP and I got nothing last night so that tells you how great that works out

I will never suggest this at anytime for anyone, even mom is upset as are 90 % of the passengers right now. MUNITY!!

Day 3: Chester:

Well here we are still don't know anything!!! Stuck in Popeye town!! All
we have heard thru the grapevine(rumor after rumor) is that we are leaving at 11:30AM but to where no one knows.

At least the food as improved and I did get dinner last night.

The one meal the do good is breakfast!!

Update. Well we are now going DOWN river again.. Still going no where close
to our ports of call I can't even begin to pronounce this next one.

If I were suicidal in anyway I would have slit my wrists by now. I can't imagine that anyone is enjoying this.

I don't know if I can stand another day of this.. all we do is sit around
and wait for food and than everyone runs for that.. OK with this crowd they
limp along to that but boy they don't miss a feeding..

Think the Dawn of the Dead or Night of the living dead movies and you have this crowd.. the smell of OLD is every where.. I have never felt so trapped.. I
should have just worked from this trip we haven't gone anywhere..

What a waste of time and money.. I could have been laying on a beach or
doing anything but this..

I mean we toured the Wal-Mart and McDonalds and saw 3 prisons.. I mean come on.. this is just horrible.

PRAY for us..

Day 4: Chester to Cape Girardeau:

Day 4 we are still heading south .. we are currently in Cape Girardeau MO
home of Rush Limbaugh.. or as I like to say ANTIQUE row.. there is nothing
here once again. We will be leaving at 11:30 PM for Paducah KY(Yes you
are seeing that correctly KY)

No one is happy about all this and we have no idea from hour to hour of
what we are doing or why or anything.

Now for your laugh of the day last nights entertainment.. Get ready.. Banjo
guy.. BUT wait he didn't just play EVERYONE had to sing along.. YES. 40
minutes of pure He**..

I have finally figured out what this cruise is.. If you took an assisted
living facility and placed it on a barge bottom and pushed it down the
Mississippi you have it.

These people are rude and circle food and booze like it is going out of
style for some reason. They will knock you over to be first in the dining
room and don't even block there way to the happy hour..

You know how other cruises go by so fast. NOT THIS ONE!!!!

The only high points have been the guy doing Mark Twain and Dustin Fox the
waiter we try to sit with everyday. And that is it.

They have decided to give us all the tours now for free so we took the
first one today what a BUST it was to a closed down mill and covered bridge
under construction. Boring.

Day 5: Cape Girardeau: See day 4 above

Day 6: Cape Girardeau to Paducah:

Well here we are now on the Ohio River trying to get to Paducah KY.. We have spent over 4 hours sitting at a lock ... than once we got in they decided to work on the lock doors and now we are TRAPPED inside of the lock.. I'm running out of words to use to describe how horrible this has been.. Now people are starting to get sick.. PLEASE god don't let it be norovirus.. but with our luck it probably will be I just wish they would turn us around and go back to St Louis and let us go home.. WE are all so bored there is nothing to do The boat is horribly decorated.. I told someone today.. That even Rhett and Scarlet would have asked to be let off .. NO grand staircase no wood nothing that would make you think you were on a paddle wheeler. Did I tell you the best part.. the paddle wheel is a JOKE it isn't even hooked up.. so we really aren't sailing on a paddle wheeler..

Day 7: Cruising to St Louis:

OK.. it is now 2PM and we are heading back up to St Louis. No idea when we will get back but assume sometime Friday.. Spent the day on a bus driving around looking at old run down houses and than on to the QUILT MUSEUM.. yes you heard me the Quilt museum.. I have to admit it was interesting, if I had to pay that would be a different story The high point was getting filmed for the local PBS station special.. just loved my comments on the quilts go figure.. In my spare time, and there is lots and lots of that, I have totally redecorated this boat in my head and will suggest a few changes when I get back. There is truly only one place on this NURSING HOME barge that even comes close to what you would have expected. So much wasted space for something so small Well I have to run .. the excitement continues this afternoon with KITE flying off the top deck.. YES kite flying and scenery watching( sounds like Alaska right) .. I will be forever scared by this cruise and it will take a lot of arm twisting before I would ever try small ship cruising(or as I like to call it) Assisted living cruising again..

Day 8: St Louis:

Arrived back in St Louis sometime after 10PM or so. We were all so happy to get off the boat you have no idea. BUT guess what they forgot about the Alzheimer's run that closed down the road in front of the Arch. They had trouble getting the buses and taxis in to get us out. It just figures one last mess up. And the GUESS what bus to ride game was fun too. They must have moved our luggage around 5 times and had to go back and forth on what bus was going where so many times they finally had the bus drivers confused. Less

Read more Queen of the Mississippi cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen of the Mississippi Review >>

Cabin review: Queen of the Mississippi 218

Cabing number 218 - Deck 2 - Hospital like in decor. Motel 6 comes to mind.