Oosterdam Cruise Review by darleen1421: Beautiful Alaska Explorer Cruise

Beautiful Alaska Explorer Cruise

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

Husband and I sailed from Seattle to Alaska Sept 16-23. Embarkation was very smooth and we were on board within 30 minutes of arriving at the port. When we boarded at noon we were told the rooms were ready so we went to our VA Deluxe Verandah room to leave our carry ons. We loved the room on the Navigation Deck on the back 1/4 of the ship on the Starboard side. The Lido back pool was near our room, but we never heard any noise. We went to the Vista Dining Room for lunch and met some nice people from Arizona. Muster Drill went smoothly. Time to leave Seattle! It was a very nice warm sunny day, as were all 7 days of the cruise! We had Sun, Mon and Tues as sea days, and they went by quickly. We choose to eat most of our meals in the dining room, and we had open seating. Yopi checked us in for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day. We were able to sit at the same table several times. Food was great every meal! Have a hard time understanding the people who say the meals were terrible. We More had reservations in Canaletto on Tues night as we were leaving Tracy Arm. Great food and scenery. We played bingo each session and I finally won the last session but the game I won had 6 other winners. We each got $60. I was also in the finals of the slot tournament, but didn't win. I got a T shirt for husband.

We loved the shows and thought the singers and dancers did a great job. Didn't go to the comedy night.

ON Wed we arrived at Juneau. We took a bus to the Mendenhall Glacier. I would encourage everyone to do this. We loved it. Much cheaper in port than booking excursions on ship. We had lunch at the Red Dog Saloon. It was definately a tourist trap. Food was alright but very expensive. Also went to the local quilt shop.

Thursday was Sitka. We tendered in, found a coffee shop with WIFI, then the local quilt shop. Walked around town a bit and then headed back to the ship.

Friday was Ketchikan. I found the quilt shop very close to where we left the ship. I was able to buy lots of Alaska Batik and got some in each shop.

We loved the fact that HA has priests on each sailing. Fr Carl was lovely. Had a good sense of humor. We attended Mass each day and were happy about it.

Saturday we arrived in Victoria about 8:45. We got off the ship but only went to the souvenir shops at the port. Decided that we didn't want to get left in Victoria. felt bad for those who had excursions booked.

Disembarkation went as smooth as embarkation. Our time to leave was 9:10 but we walked down at 8:50 and they said all bags were in the terminal. We walked on and went through security and customs very rapidly. Our son-in-law was picking us up and he was there, we were loaded and out of the terminal area by 9:30. I have nothing negative to say about Holland America. We are talking about going next September also.

Because the weather was so nice, we sat out on our verandah several days. We won't go again unless we have a verandah. Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>