Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by nascarfan24

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by nascarfan24
Oasis of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Member Name: nascarfan24
Cruise Date: September 2012
Cabin Category: D4
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+

WORTH TAKING AT LEAST ONCE
Oasis definitely must be cruised once so you experience the sheer size and multitude of activities and food choices.

Only cruised RCCL 1 before on a much older smaller ship. So I personally LOVED this ship. Daughter-in-law and son did the Freedom two years ago and said they think they preferred it, because it was a little smaller and had LARGER POOLS for the sea days.

I read a lot of reviews before hand and here are my thoughts after sailing.

YOU REALLY SHOULD MAKE YOUR SHOW RESERVATIONS PRIOR TO BOARDING AND PUT A CREDIT CARD ON FILE AND SIGN ALL WAIVERS. These steps making everything go much smoother.

Getting on and off the ship during our trip was very easy

Saw the luggage fellow in the hall, gave him $5.00 and magically our luggage appeared pronto.

Room- not bad size, of course they are small we are on a cruise ship - more rooms equal more $$, but they seemed to accommodate 2 people fine - closet space not bad, had enough hangers, beds very comfortable, or maybe we just did so much we fell into bed at night tired. The only thing I recommend is bringing a small power strip - the outlets are limited and are in a weird spot.

Location, ocean-view balcony, enjoyed it, room towards front of ship, not too far from elevator on 8th floor, near Central Park. LOVED this location, not noisy, but very close to the Park Cafe - enjoyed walking just a few steps to pick up drinks and fresh fruit each morning. Elevators pretty easy most of the time, the only time congested was going to or from ship on port days and going down close to dinner time.

DINING - Ate at the the main dining room all nights but one, some meals were better than others, but none of them were "bad", and the night I had a pork chop it was delish! Out of 4 of us we all thoughts the meals were very good.

Ate at Chops one night, it was definitely great. all 4 had the fillet mignon. Had various things from Park Cafe - really decent- Johnny Rockets for lunch - really decent - Son and daughter-in-law started to eat at the Windjammer and said "GROSS". Had breakfast at the main dining room most mornings it was very good. Our wait staff at breakfast and especially in main dining room were fantastic, not the least bit pushy, may the dining time very enjoyable, they were VERY accommodating.

DRINKS - decent and of course expensive, again you are on a cruise ship, one suggestion I do have is that they sell a "cooler w/ 8 beers for a certain price" and then they refill at a reduced rate - this is not a bad deal if you start with the cooler on the first day, sure we got asked at lot of times at the pools to buy drinks, but they simply asked, we said no they moved on, did not make us feel uncomfortable.

SHOWS - Saw hairspray, great, comedy show REALLY GREAT, Frozen in time, great, Come Fly with me great, splish splash and the regular aqua show, all were great. Maybe I am easy to entertain but I enjoyed them all

POOLS - here is where the only negative comes in they have multiple pools and tons of chairs, but the pools seem smaller and the adult pool is VERY small. Port days you did not notice this, but since this cruise has 3 full sailing days you definitely notice this with 6,000 of your closet friends in the pools with you.

O heck I forgot to mention that I had been told that since this ship was so large you would not feel it move, those folks were wrong, I have a problem w/ seasickness, Captain did a great job of going around the storms so we had perfect weather on the trip, but you definitely felt the movement - if you have a problem, bring meds so you feel good, because even though it is a large ship you still feel the movements.

Next cruise I will try a different ship perhaps the Freedom line, but I would NEVER discourage anyone from trying this ship. Our family had a wonderful time and are happy to say we tried it. There is a lot to love about this ship.

Ports were good - Nassau - did the RCC tour - Blue Lagoon tour with lunch - it was nice

St. Thomas - did a private sailing/snorkeling excursion with Morningstar Charters, it was nice

My favorite was St. Maarten - got off the ship paid $6 bucks per person round trip to board the water taxi, bought cheap beer, water, soft drinks, ride 15 minutes over to island, pay $15 bucks to rent chair and umbrella right on the beach for the whole day, shop a little in the stores - ate at the "Firehouse" really decent food, everything is right there after you get off the water taxis, including a clean restroom - VERY RELAXING DAY for not too much money, but I must warn you the locals are a little pesky about - do you want to buy...., do you want hair braided, do you want a foot massage, etc. just keeping telling them no and eventually they will leave you alone

Hope this review helps, if you decide on the Oasis and you book everything ahead and keep an open mind you should love it.

Also worth noting, stayed at the Holiday Inn on Sheridan the night before our trip. Very clean,comfortable beds, beautiful pool area, nice bar and restaurant, free shuttle from airport to hotel and free shuttle to cruise port, of course tipping required. We arrived early spent the day at the very relaxing pool area, ordered pizza and wings and ate at the pool area, was a great start to our trip.

Publication Date: 09/25/12