Carnival Legend Cruise Review by SunFun&HappyPlaces

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Legend Cruise Review by SunFun&HappyPlaces
Carnival Legend
Carnival Legend
Member Name: SunFun&HappyPlaces
Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: 6A

Carnival Legend Sept 17-23
We are home and happy! The Legend isn't top of the line, and it isn't bottom of the list either. We spent 7 happy days onboard, and I have to say that the negative reputation on the reviews here aren't quite accurate, at least in our experience. We arrived to the port with the last arrival group from the airport, and when greeted, everyone was more than helpful to get us into the correct place and onto the correct transfer, into the terminal, through the process and into our cabins with plenty of time to spare. Our cabin steward, Nisarat, came to say hello and welcome and asked if there was anything we needed to settle in. Our room was immaculate and fresh, and she kept it that way. Perhaps she didn't tidy and clean up every time we left the room, but things were taken care of very nicely. When my husband had a bad night of not feeling well, we hung out the "Snoozin'" tag, and he was able to rest and recuperate. Nisarat saw me coming back to the room after a wander, asked if we needed anything, then asked after my husband to see if everything was all right, then stocked us up on towels, ice, and handed extra chocolates to "help him feel better". And he did. The only complaint we had on the room was that it was noisy, usually starting at 4-4:30 every port or docking period, or maybe someone working on the plumbing. But every day, it was an early morning for us since I am a light sleeper. I believe we will choose a slightly different location but we love low and mid-ship because it is smoother during rougher seas. We will see. I'll ask our booking person when I talk to her next and see what she can suggest for us.

Now, for some areas that need improvement that are mostly annoyances. Dining placement and staff. We had no complaints on the quality of the cruise food, but the delivery and temperature of the food were both slow, and cold. Albert and Charles were often missing from the dining room area so we couldn't even address these issues until it was time for plate clearing. We were placed in an offside dining area (LOL..we were always dressed nicely for dinner. I don't know what the issue was) and we missed a lot of what was going on, that can be a good thing or a bad thing, but it seemed like it was a "training" area for service most of the time. The staff were friendly enough, but just absent. This could be improved upon. I did notice that the main room didn't seem to be as slow moving as the side area, so....

Deck staffing: We had sporadic periods of rain, and there were times when the deck was not mopped or squeegeed dry after these showers causing slickness. This was a concern for everyone, and I witnessed more than a couple falls because of wet decks, especially poolside where normally this is attended quickly. I did not witness, but only heard of, a fall by a person who had just recovered from surgery. Again, a wet deck poolside after a brief rain. From what I heard, the ship 911 call was placed, but no one responded. Not a good thing. Make sure your shoes and deckwear are not slippery prone. Take care of this and you won't have an issue.

Plus sides: Some staff went overboard (not literally) to make sure we were enjoying ourselves and to ensure we had anything we needed or wanted. Everyone I had contact with was friendly, warm and courteous, and often entertaining. There are more than a few that I'll watch for again. Excursions: every single one that we took was excellent and we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. We did the horseback tour in Cozumel, the Xuantunich excursion in Belize, and the beach day at Mahogany Bay, and all were more than we hoped for. Our travel partner/friend did the horseback ride in Cozumel with us and 2-tank dives in Mahogany Bay and Grand Cayman stops, and she was pleased with all, just as we were.

So, all in all, it was a very nice vacation. Much needed, and much enjoyed. Now, if only Carnival could somehow ease our first back at work day for us, things would be perfect. With cruising, you have to take things in stride, and you have to keep things in perspective. Cruising can still be the best vacation value to be had, and I know we will be fine with taking a cruise on the Legend again (with non-slippery footwear).

Publication Date: 09/25/12