Golden Princess Cruise Review by Colleen.Pilgrim@gmail.com: Cruise to Alaska with my Elderly Parents

Colleen.Pilgrim@gmail.com
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Golden Princess Alaska Cruises

Cruise to Alaska with my Elderly Parents

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This cruise was to fill my parent's bucket list and I feel it did just that!!! We started our trip with a couple of days in Seattle, WA sight seeing. My parents are elderly and have a little trouble getting around so we decided at the last minute to rent a van to make it easier to park and not walk up the steep hills.
Our cruise day started with our trip to the pier for our 12pm assigned embarkation time. )Princess Cruise has a set time for embarkation and debarkation, they have this down to a science and that really made things go smoothly.) The porters at the pier were hard to find, but once we got one to help, we were escorted to the check in line and were on the ship in about 30 minutes. Our rooms were ready when we boarded which was a 1st for us and lunch was hot and ready also....the buffet lines were a bit crowded at 1st but there were people there to help us and lead us to a table.
This cruise was everything we expected and more. There were so many activities More we just couldn't get everything in. My parents wore themselves out having fun and enjoying the scenery! The Naturalist on board we great and we learned so much about the vast land of Alaska.
My husband and I had heard horror stories about all the elderly people on Alaska cruises and that nothing was open after 9pm and there was no nightlife....WELL we just didn't find this to be true on our Alaska Cruise with the Golden Princess...there were people of all ages and walks of life...all the passengers were as friendly as could be, the staff was GREAT and most bars were open until about 12am-2am. There was one bar opened all night and food....we had awesome pizza, sandwiches and dessert available 24x7.
Excursions, we booked through an independent online, next time I would find something as we arrive at the pier.
The only thing negative I can honestly say is the buffet food on the Golden Princess was always the same....on other cruise lines we found a variety daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner....with the Golden Princess the food for each meal was the same every day. And my Dad said food was a bit bland, like they were cooking for "old" people.
But all in all, we would recommend cruising on the Golden Princess!!! Less

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Golden Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Golden Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe Deck C614

Spacious Balcony, connects to neighbor balconies, great view, quiet location

Mendenhall Glacier

(5)
We took a bus to Mendenhall Glacier, we had about an hour to walk around on our own. We saw salmon and BEARS!! It was very cold but fun! Was a lot of walking and hard for my parents to walk on the steep trails.

Whale Watching

(4)
We were out for 2+hrs and didn't see whales. We saw Orcas which the travel crew counted as whales but they were even far away and we only saw the fins and couldn't really see them. Probably wouldn't recommend doing the whale watching in Sept. They are mostly gone by this time

We chose not to do an excursion in Ketchikan, however this was our favorite city. We walked down to Creek street and took the pulled car up the mountain for $2.00 and saw totem poles and had a great view of the city and our ship. We did some shopping and had a great time enjoying the city. It was very convenient because the city is very small and everything is within walking distance.

City Tour

(4)
We chose to take a bus tour for about $48 per person, that followed the same path as the train that cost $169 per person. We had a great driver that was very informative about Skagway and Alaska. She made several stops for us to get out and take pictures and we got to take pictures by the Welcome to Alaska sign as we crossed over the border into Canada. We really enjoyed the tour.

We took a cab into town and the driver was very rude and in so much of a hurry he started driving off as my mother was getting in the car. We told him we wanted to be taken into the heart of things, but he dropped us off in a location that was still very far away from the stores and restaurants and we had to catch a 2nd cab. We saw several people at the ship taking horse draw tours and if we had it to do over would have booked one of those. It was 7pm when we got into Victoria BC so it was dark and we really didn't get to see to much.
Read 558 Victoria Reviews