Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Whippets

Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Sensational Sun!
Our travels began at Charlotte Douglas International airport. Our friends arrived at our home early. We feared that we could possibly have an interruption as the democratic convention was in full swing in Charlotte. The day of our departure both the current president and past president were flying in. If the airspace was closed for an extended time we would miss our connection in Chicago which would take us into Copenhagen. All the stars were in alignment and our air travel was flawless. The flight was just over 8 hours from Chicago.

Arrival in Copenhagen found a large, busy airport. Suitcases were in baggage claim with surprising speed. Taxi's were readily available and we were on our way to the Marriott which was about a 20 minute ride. Our rooms were ready so we were able to drop off our luggage and freshen up then it was outdoors to explore the area. The day was cloudy and a bit overcast but temperatures were pleasant and a long walk along the waterfront was just what we needed after the plane ride. After dinner at a local restaurant and a walk back to the hotel we could no longer hold our eyes open, so it was an early night.

Friday morning we set our for another walk in the opposite direction and found some excellent shopping in the uptown area. Many street vendors offered all sorts of items for sale. We found a fresh fruit stand and I purchased a banana. Local pastries and strong coffee were also purchased along the way.

Now it's off to the Sun! Just a quick 15 minute cap ride brought us to the ship. We had sailed on the Sun 5 years ago and I was amazed at how beautiful she still looked. I had read on several reviews that she was showing her age. We did not find that to be true at all. All of the carpet looked brand new and I know she was refurbished about a year and a half ago. Embarkation was only a few minutes in the Platinum line.

Lunch was available in the Four Seasons Dining Room upon embarking. Room were ready before 1:30. Our cabin was in a perfect location and we used the stairs most of the time trying to starve off any unwanted pounds from all of the menu items that were always available. We ate in Seven Seas Restaurant most nights and also enjoyed a wonderful meal at LeBistro celebrating my friend's birthday.

Our Cruise Critic Meet and Greet was held on Sunday morning. We had a small Roll Call and 21 members attended. The hotel director, Steven Jacobsen greeted us in Las Rambles Tapas Bar and Restaurant. We had six other staff members introduced. Mr. Jacobsen offered our group a Galley Tour on our last sea day which was well received by all. We were scheduled on the Behind The Scenes Tour which was extremely interesting.

Our friends old and new all booked tours with SPB Tours for the entire cruise.

Each port they were there waiting for us. We had English speaking guides and had a great value for the what we were charged. With smaller vehicles the ability to travel to areas that the larger ones could not. The only exception was Stockholm. We could not call in Sweden as there were high winds and rain. With the narrow channel Captain Tommy Stensrud did not want to risk not being able to leave later in the day causing us to miss our return flights out of Copenhagen, so our Stockholm day was not to be. That resulted in a fun filled sea day with activities around the ship and a big cocktail hour in the afternoon. Cruise Director Jaime Lynn De Souza was a delight and was very visible about the ship as were all of the officers.

Of course, there are always some comments made and things I overheard, so I will mention them too.

One of my Australian friends said that she would have liked to see more vegetables available. The vegetable portions that came with your main entree were small.

My girlfriend mentioned that another cruise line offers exercise classes without a charge.

My husband purchased a watch on board in the middle price range....the band came apart on the trip home.

My big complaint was the extra around the middle that I came home with.....

It was a fantastic vacation. We would love to go back to the region again and see Stockholm.

Disembarking was such a relaxed experience for our group as we had a later flight out of Copenhagen. We walked off with our luggage (we are some of those carry-on only packers!) and as we exited the terminal a gentleman just signaled cabs the appropriate size for your group and amount of luggage. Another 20 minute ride and we were back at the airport. We were able to exchange our Danish currency at the airport. I kept our left over Euros as I will be back in Europe again in December. Flights all left on time and we were back home late that evening to the sight of some very excited Whippets!

'Til we sail again................

Publication Date: 09/24/12