Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by canuckcruiselover: Majesty - Very Impressed

canuckcruiselover
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Majesty of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

Majesty - Very Impressed

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Bahamas

My DH and I got off the Majesty yesterday and were very pleasantly surprised with the ship. After sailing on the larger ships, and from reading some reviews on CC, I was expecting a very tiny cabin and a very small ship. I missed the balcony more than I missed the few feet of extra space in the cabin (Deck 3 O/S) but it was fine for 4 nights for the two of us and very comfortable. In fact, overall, my DH preferred the size and layout of the Majesty over the other classes we've sailed.

I also expected to feel the motion on the Majesty. The weather was very hot and humid every day (UV index -- 10) and the seas were calm. Once in a while, there was some vibration but this was the first cruise where I didn't need to wear my wrist bands or take any ginger pills. Rarely felt like we were even moving.

LOUNGES
I really don't know why the larger ships reduced the size of the Schooner Bar and Boleros -- though I guess it was to make room for more cabins. On Majesty, More Boleros has to be 4 times the size of others and with a much larger dance floor. It is also a self-contained room rather than a small open corner. The Schooner Bar also seemed much bigger and the unique 360 degree Viking Crown Lounge was very pretty.

FOOD
Sorrento's, Johnny Rockets and the wonderful Compass Deli are above the Windjammer and also very spacious. Thanks to everyone on CC who recommended the chocolate mousse crepes in the Compass Deli -- very yummy! It seemed that many (other than the ship's officers) missed the crepes as they are only shown on the table menus and not on the main menu posted on the wall.

The Windjammer and MDR are small compared to other ships but we never had a problem finding a table in the WJ. Same goes for the pools -- always empty loungers on the pool deck. I love the design of the pools on Majesty and though the wood deck looks very nice it does get steaming hot. The food in the MDR was the same as usual and I'm glad that the menu is finally changing fleet-wide. We're not picky eaters and found the food to be good.

We skipped formal night in the MDR and went to the WJ instead. I was surprised at the number of tuxes and gowns which I didn't expect on such a short cruise. We managed fine with carry-on cases -- no room for formal clothing.

ENTERTAINMENT
The last few cruises, we've been very disappointed with the caliber of entertainment and the Majesty was no exception. We left the first production show after 10 minutes (very amateurish in our opinion) and didn't go to the farewell show. The juggler was pretty good, though. The casino was more spacious than I expected but really tight machines -- mostly coin-in, coin-out. This was the only onboard casino I've witnessed where smoking was allowed on formal night.
The "white" pool party was amazing! While I wasn't keen on the CD, Dave Chapman, as a comedian, he is a phenomenal dancer -- incredible energy. He, and his staff, must have danced non-stop for at least 45 minutes.

We went to the Battle of the Sexes which I've never seen before -- so childish in my opinion. We skipped Quest for the same reason and didn't make it to the Love and Marriage show.

PORTS
We hadn't been to any of the ports before which is why we chose this particular cruise.

Nassau -- we walked around the town and chatted to some of the locals who were very friendly. It was unbearably hot and humid and we couldn't take more than an hour of walking.

Cococay -- we enjoyed a fabulous relaxing beach day. I'm not sure why so many people recommend Barefoot Beach. We did the trek in the heat but I was disappointed -- nothing special. The beaches to the left of it (where the water toys are) were just fine. My DH had a great nap in one of the hammocks. The sand is soft and doesn't get hot and the water was beautiful. Saw lots of little fish quite close to the shore -- no jelly fish or stingrays in sight.

Key West --a pretty little town. We took the $21 city trolley ride and had a great tour. The guide was very informative and we learned a lot about the area. It's a hop on, hop off ride but we rode the entire route which took about an hour. Before getting back on the ship, we stopped at a shop by the dock that sold Kermit's frozen chocolate key lime pie on a stick. So many people rave about it but I found it too rich for my taste -- certainly worth trying, though.

CONCLUSION
Would I sail on Majesty again? In a heartbeat. Loved it!
Would I sail the Caribbean in September again? No. It was just too uncomfortably hot and humid for me not to mention the risk of tropical storms/hurricanes. Less

Read more Majesty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Majesty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Majesty of the Seas Oceanview Stateroom Deck 2 3610

3610 - Great location mid-ship. "Secret" door just past our cabin leads into the centrum and main dining room. The hallway was very quiet with no cabins opposite ours. Room is small but perfectly adequate for two peopleon a 4-night cruise.