Celebrity Century Cruise Review by coffeebean: Pleasantly surprised by Celebrity Century

coffeebean
Member Since 2007
2,765 Posts

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Alaska Cruises

Pleasantly surprised by Celebrity Century

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

I was not expecting too much from a 17 year old ship, but Celebrity Century surprised me with her cleanliness and updated, like new interior. She shows her age in some areas on the exterior but still, I could see the great effort taken to keep this old girl in good shape.

Embarkation was a breeze. Disembarkation could not have been easier as we walked off with our luggage. Both, very efficiently done.

Food quality is a step above other mass market lines we have cruised on. I actually looked forward to dining in the main dining room and there was always multiple items I was happy to try. The buffet was good with a wide variety of food. I especially liked the cheese blintzes at breakfast and the freshly made waffles with whipped cream are really good too. Murano is a superior experience to the main dining room and I feel it is worth the surcharge to experience this level of food quality and service. It is a lovely intimate room which enhances your dining experience. More There is a brunch buffet in the main dining room on one of the sea days which is not to be missed. The Celebrity Today newsletter does not mention this brunch on the front page so make sure you check for it every day in the dining section of the paper. This brunch is sensational.

I was disappointed that Century has no indoor whirlpool in the spa area. If there were, I might have considered purchasing the spa pass for the week. Without a T pool or whirlpool hot tub, I didn't feel the need to purchase the pass.

Our Cruise Director John G. and his staff did a great job keeping us entertained. There are many activities scheduled during the day and into the night to appeal to folks with many interests. If you like Trivia, there are several to choose from throughout the day. Don't miss John G.'s trivia for the 50's party. It was so much fun.

Evening entertainment in the main theater is pretty good. My husband and I who are Broadway enthusiasts, especially liked the third production show which featured production numbers from Broadway shows.

The fitness center is nicely appointed with enough machines so there was no waiting for us to get on equipment in the mornings.

There is so much beauty in Alaska, it was unfortunate our Sept. 9th cruise met with some inclement weather. Our mostly overcast skies and a full day of rain in Juneau did not keep folks from venturing out to see what Alaska has to offer. I watched the people at the landing area of the zip line in Icy Point Strait. It looks like so much fun but I didn't want to try it because the landing seems very abrupt. Everyone coming off the ride seemed to really enjoy it though.

My husband and I are not new to cruising and have cruised on many larger ships with more bells and whistles. Having said that, Century showed us a wonderful time and I applaud her crew for doing such a great job. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>