“ Alaska! A Must See for Your Bucket List”
Cruise review of Caribbean Princess

Suzie Que Caribbean Princess 4 Alaska! A Must See for Your Bucket List
Suzie Que
Member Since 2008
No Forum Posts
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating

There are no words for the beauty of Alaska. We were very fortunate our Ship Captain was able to get us very close to glaciers that many are not able to experience. Our first stop was Ketchikan; wish we had had more time there. We did the 7am to 11am Ketchikan Salmon Fishing Excursion, which I do not recommend unless you are just wanting your own salmon. The only part you play is watching the end of the reel to bob, then reeling it in; felt like a 6 year old waiting for dad to say "pull". Our boat captain was very unpleasant. We did catch salmon to ship home, but would not do again. "A MUST"!Eat a halibut burger at Burger Queen.Awesome! Juneau--a FABULOUS WHALE WATCHING tour with Harv & Marv. Liz was our guide; we saw many whales, but most of all, she made it a fantastic trip. There were 6 on our boat which gave you lots of room to move around inside and out for pictures. This company is the BEST!! After whale watching, their van took us to Mendenhall Glacier where 4 of our party stayed, but we chose to return to eat at Tracy's Crab Shack. It was everything I had read about it! Expensive but "unbelievably" good. Would go again!

Red Dog Saloon was very crowded.

Skagway ---- Took the 3.5hr. White Pass Train Trip booked thru Princess. You cannot go to Alaska and no do some form of this trip. It provides views you can't imagine. It was cold, but I loved standing between the cars outside taking pictures. Ate at Stowaway Cafe (wonderful) but closing for good after this season. Next 2 days we cruised the glaciers-never got tired of the gorgeous views.

This was our first cruise with Princess;loved our mini-suite;the ship is very confusing to get around on, and we were not the only ones who felt this way. The ship was not a glamorous as we expected; still favor Royal Caribbean; service in the Horizon Cafe was very slow. Food was good overall.We did anytime dining,which you still need to make reservations for or you wait.The worst experience on the Cruise was eating at Sabatini's. The lobster,etc. was awful! i am a seafood fanatic, and we both left lobster on our plate because it was so bad. Service was equally as bad;only 4 other couples in the restaurant,which I now understand why. Loved the outdoor movies when weather cooperated. Loved the cruise because I was with my husband, but not impressed with Princess. I was shocked at so much smoking being allowed in many areas on the ship. We would not go to the casino due to smoking allowed most nights. The Churchill Lounge was for smokers only, and I expected that to be the only area, as was the Cigar Lounge, but so wrong I was. This is a policy we will look close at before our next cruise. I will say we really enjoyed the shows. Be prepared for many older,very overweight,slow moving people. I do recommend this time of year because there were only 4 ships in port instead of 6. These towns are very small. Loved the bus trip from Whittier back to Anchorage-great driver/guide.

Caribbean Princess Cruises to Alaska
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

E710
Our cabin was E710, a mini-suite with balcony; could not have been better! Lot's of room to move around; comfortable; lots of closet space and drawers. Our bed was converted to a queen(i must say it is bigger than a standard queen)and it was very comfortable. Room was always very clean. Very worth the extra expense. The only thing I would do different is be on the Starboard side of the ship.
Published 09/23/12
1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s Caribbean Princess Review
Caribbean Princess Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?