Zaandam Cruise Review by JrinOC: Wonderful

Wonderful

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seward

This is our 15th cruise but the first time on a Holland American ship. We brought my husband's parents for their anniversary and we were very impressed with several aspects of this cruise.

First off, the check in was effortless and the cabin was well presented and prepared. The crew was exceptionally happy and seemed to truly enjoy their jobs. This was every department! The wonderful thing about the crew was that they were attentive but never pushy. The drink servers were always available but never trying to "sell" you something. Same thing with the photographers.

We thought that the two day "quarantine" was an excellent idea at the buffet. This is where they have the crew load your plate with your selections and give you your desired drink. Very smart way to keep the germs down and the guests from getting sick. This was the first time we have ever seen this on a ship. The ship itself is smaller but all of the rooms are well designed and we never felt More or noticed a crowd. We really enjoyed the intimacy of the ship and did not spend our first two days getting lost. The spa and gym were very nice and the thermal suite was never crowded.

I appreciated the dining room/crew's attention to detail on our dining situation, since I have a food allergy (wine). They made sure to bring me the menu for each meal the day before so I could pre-order. Each meal was so well done and the food was excellent. I always judge a good cruise by their cheese... if they buy cheap/tasteless cheese they get a low rating. The cheese on this ship was WONDERFUL!

Entertainment: The shows were well done and the dancers and singers were very talented. My only complaint is that the song selections were really for the over 70 crowd (Hello Dolly??) I think they could improve that a bit.

Tours: We did the kayak tour in Haines on the Chilkot lake and it was fantastic. Even in the rain, we saw a lot of wildlife and the salmon spawning.

Kids: We have younger children that stayed home. There was a kid program but we only saw a handful of children (mostly European) on the ship. I don't think this ship would have been right for children. Less

Published 09/21/12

Read more Zaandam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Zaandam Review >>

Compare Prices on Zaandam Alaska Cruises

Cabin review: B6211 Vista Suite with Verandah

Cabin 6211 and 6213 - We loved the jacuzzi tub! What a wonderful suprise. The sitting area was comfortable and I appreciated the sit down vanity. This cabin was close to the back of the ship, the elevator and only two floors down to the dining room. Very centrally located to the internet cafe and library. There was a slight musty smell but it went away quickly

Read All Vista Suite with Verandah (B) Reviews >>

Kayaking

Great tour, even though it was raining! Very beautiful part of Alaska and we really felt like we saw alot of wildlife.

We got a taxi and went out to the Mendenhall Glacier for a while. Not much to do in Juneau, so when we got back to town we did a pub crawl/shopping back to the ship
Read 1125 Juneau Reviews

Cute town, lots of shopping to do. We did another pub crawl/shopping day and the day flew by.
Read 1285 Ketchikan Reviews

Onboarding Experience
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X