“NCL GEM 10 night Canadian cruise”
Cruise review of Norwegian Gem

banana5214 Norwegian Gem 3 NCL GEM 10 night Canadian cruise
banana5214
Member Since 2012
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
The ship is in need of sprucing up. This is the first time I did a free style cruise. Thought I would like it but I didn't. I would prefer to sit with other people & hear about their day. Also never got to know the wait staff, in past the wait staff has gotten to know the passengers & they are always happy to talk to you about your day & they know what you like & "take care" of you. The food was good, the specialty restaurants were very good. The entertainment was awful except for the Las Vegas impersonator. Did the murder mystery lunch, took about 2 1/2 hours, too long when it was such a beautiful day outside, but good fun. The reason I took this trip was for Halifax & overnight in Quebec City. Unfortunately the weather was against us in Halifax. Went on a cruise excursion to Peggy's Cove. There was confusion at the meeting area & we were put on the wrong bus. Delayed the trip 20 mins & only gave us 30 mins in Peggy's Cove. Quebec City was all I hoped for & more. Not to be missed. Did take a cruise excursion to the coast, canyon & winery. Canyon was great, drive very pretty, could have done without the winery, that was a waste of time. Cornerbrook was a quiet port. Did the Cornerbrook in Focus excursion, not at all what I thought it would be. Said there would be a photographer along with us, which there was, but I thought she would be more interactive, teaching us how to take better pictures of the sights, which by the way were not all that great. After speaking to others who did their own walking around, it seemed they found beautiful walking trails. There was nothing to do in the town, all the reastaurants were closed. They must not have known a ship with 3000 people were pulling in, or they didn't care? Sydney was a nice little port, again very quiet. Weather not too good there either. Just took a walk aroung the town. Local artisans had a big show set up at the termianal, well priced jewelery, etc. Local people at Cornerbrook & Sydney VERY welcoming. Lastly, the clientel of the cruise was mostly elderly ie a lot of walkers & wheelchairs. There was no where to go for peace & quiet, there was always something going on in every public area. Library & game room always packed. Could make things quite congested in the dining areas. Overall, I do not think I would do an NCL cruise again, I feel I experienced better on RC & Carnival.
Norwegian Gem Cruises to Canada & New England
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Obstructed Oceanview

Peggy's Cove
Only had 30 mins at Peggy's Cove, very congested there. Put on the wrong bus at the ship, delayed start of trip by 20 mins. Titanic cemetery fascinating.
Published 09/24/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Gem Review
Norwegian Gem Cruises to Canada & New England
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?