Carnival Elation Cruise Review by cruisinonnie

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Elation Cruise Review by cruisinonnie
Carnival Elation
Cabin Category: 6E
Cabin Number: e65
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

No such cruise as a bad cruise
There were 8 of us traveling together on this cruise. My husband and I were celebrating our 49th anniversary and elected to take this 5 day cruise so we could meet up with other family members in New Orleans following the cruise.

We have been on approximately 40 cruises so you can tell we love them. I will list the pros and the cons of this sailing.

PROS:

The size of the ship, I like the smaller ships

The decor was nice

The size of our cabin was sufficient (even if I had to crawl over my husband to get into bed) Adequate storing space for clothing and shoes

I had read other reviews that did not like the food on this ship I loved it. Always an Everyday selection to choose from if you didn't like the daily menu. This only happened once for me. They have what they call comfort food and that is more like what you might serve at home. I will say the meat loaf was not very good.

Our waiter and assistant Orlando and Henri were so much fun. Professional but went out of their way to make us welcome.

Production shows and Legends Show using passengers were good.

Embarkation and Debarkation were very smooth and quick

Almost no movement of the ship , smooth sailing all the way

Room was always clean

Fun with friend and family

CONS:

While I like the size of the smaller ships for getting around it was a couple of days before I could get used to not being able to go straight through on the 8th floor. Had to go to 9th and then walk down steps to get to our dining room. Once we knew where we were to be it was okay.

Cabins did not have a chair but a stool to sit on. Rather missed having a comfortable chair.

While the production shows were good I was disappointed that we didn't have much other entertainment. One family comedy show available during the cruise for our dinner time. It was pretty funny. All the other comedy shows for late night were "Adult" comedy. I don't mind some suggestive material but not raunchy. Didn't go as standing room only the night we tried to go to see if it was something we would like. Apparently some people like that type of humor I just wish they would have had some more family type shows later in the evening.

We love to go and play the trivia games and they had several however they were held in the Drama Bar which the seats and booths line up in straight line not facing the stage area. Unable to hear if you were more than 3 tables away.

Of course the bar straight across the walkway was crowded with a lot of drunks who kept throwing out answers. Katie was the MC for most of these and she was rather rude and we didn't find her to be friendly at all. I do think she needs to find another occupation. There were sometimes 15 or more groups playing so it would have been much better to hold these in one of the many other locations.

As I said it was a walk way so people were walking and talking as they should but just made it more difficult to play. Carnival needs to rethink where they hold these activities.

I love to play the slots and I know they are not the best for payouts on the ships but to play every night and never hit anything above $4.00 at a time, I would say they are way too tight. 7 of us gambled and no one won anything at all. In fact I never heard anyone say they had won.

Bingo...One of the ships big money makers for them. Used to be it was an activity that one could actually have a change to win some money but also play.

Went to one session and only because I stood in line forever did I go ahead and play once I found out what we were doing . $20 one game yes I said one game for $500. It took them over 30 minutes to sell cards and 10 min to play the game. My advise keep your money and give to the hungry slots you may get more than 10 minutes of play.

I realize this is a older ship but I had forgotten about small pools. The pool has a straight up and down ladder to get in and out of the pool but steps close together watched several people have difficulty getting in and out.

Pool was always full with people standing around the entire pool with drinks in their hands so unless you wanted to stand in one spot not good. I always use the pools to swim in and the fact its itinerary is in New Orleans and Mexico the days are hot so a pool would have been nice. The adult pool is very small about the size of a large jacuzzi.

Ports:

Progresso: We just got off the ship and browsed through the shops. Normally we would have went back to ship and used pools but see above.

Cozumel: Of all the Caribbean Islands I have been to this is one of my favorites. We have always just went to the beaches. We used to go to San Fransisco Beach but recent hurricanes destroyed so much of it, we decided to go to Paradise Beach right next to it. We went last Jan and were so pleased with it that we went again this time. What a bargain for a beautiful beach. Great place to take entire family to. They have put in all new palm trees, sand, beach chairs and umbrellas. They have also added a beautiful pool area. $2.00 to get in unless you want to use the slides out in the water than an additional $10. They do want you to spend money at the bar and restaurant but that is okay food is good. Great Mexican fare.

Publication Date: 09/21/12