Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by galian84: A gem of a ship...

galian84
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Bahamas Cruises

A gem of a ship...

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was the first cruise I took with my boyfriend, and the first one I had taken in about 10 years. We enjoyed our trip! Left out of NYC during the wintertime, so it was nice getting to sail into warm weather for a week. We definitely took advantage of the outdoor Jacuzzis on those colder days.

Food was great, I loved the selection they had. I believe there were 3 different dining rooms, so if one got too crowded, we just hopped over to one that wasn't. They had a good amount of specialty restaurants, where you had to pay a cover charge, and the only one we went to was the Hibachi grill ($35 pp), which was worth it for the amount and quality of the food we got.

Entertainment...great singers and dancers, flashy shows, what more can you ask for? The auditorium-style seating was very nice. There was a good variety of shows, from singing/dancing, hypnosis, comedy, to the Man on the Moon, among others. But there was something new every night. Wasn't too impressed with More the comedy, though.

The Bliss nightclub was rocking nearly every night (not sure if it was because of the time that we went, and that there were a lot of young people on board?) and the theme parties were fun...toga parties, white-hot, and so on. There was a bowling alley too, but we didn't get a chance to try it. We also enjoyed the game shows that went on in the Spinnaker lounge.

Oh, and the cruise director, Sinan, was an absolute riot! Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Gem

Again, maybe it was the time of year that we went? Was a little cold there as well, rained a little bit, and had a few little peeks of sunshine. The water was gorgeous, of course, if not a little cold. The lunch buffet was definitely nice. I just chalk up the not-so-great experience to the time of year that we went.

Atlantis Aquaventure

(5)
Our favorite excursion this cruise! Got a beautiful day to enjoy, spent the day wandering the beaches and Aquaventure. Loved the water slides, went on as many as we could.

Cocoa Beach

(3)
Maybe it was the weather (it was cold down in Florida!) but it definitely wasn't a beach day. Gray skies and cold water...we spent most of our time sitting idly on the beach and wandering around the area. It was nice to see where "I Dream of Jeannie" took place, though!