Star Princess Cruise Review by DesertWindTX: Star Princess Alaska Labor Day 2012

DesertWindTX
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Star Princess Alaska Cruises

Star Princess Alaska Labor Day 2012

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Other

We've recently returned from a week in Alaska aboard the Star Princess. This was our second cruise, and the first on a Princess ship. Quick synopsis:

Seattle was fantastic - beautiful weather, nice people! We walked from our hotel near the Space Needle to Pike's Place Market; I purchased a huge bouquet of flowers for our room, and got some coffee, etc. Fun place!
Embarkation went quickly, and no issues.

The Star Princess is a beautiful ship; we took some time to tour around her prior to Sail Away. Our other cruise was on a smaller ship, so Star Princess was pretty impressive. Clean, well-kept, and really nice and comfortable. Our cabin was on Caribe deck, so extended balcony,which we loved. In fact, my husband had been irritated that I spent money for a balcony. After the first day, he said he would not cruise without it! Our cabin was great, and the bathroom was much nicer than the previous ship we cruised on. We ran to get some food, and Soda stamps, More etc.

We met our Cabin Steward, Pastor, and could not have been happier with him throughout the cruise. Friendly, courteous, and most important to me, non-intrusive. Cabin was always kept up, just like magic.

We had Anytime dining - which I liked better. We sat with a group one night and met some nice folks, but stayed to ourselves most of the cruise. Food on this cruise was a bit of a disappointment. Not bad food, just not as "cool" as I had thought it would be. The Horizon Court was good, with some interesting things that I tried, and Corned Beef Hash for breakfast most every day :). Breakfast via room service was fun, and one day in the Dining Room, not so good, but ok. There was one exception to the food that I'd really like to comment on, and that was an entree called "Beef Wellington" that was really not something I would ever eat. I make real Beef Wellington, this was not it. But, the server offered me something else, which I declined, and we just went on with whatever.

We did Sabatini's - good - and Crown Grill - fabulous. But, I have to say, probably my favorite place to grab food was the International Cafe. Those Tuna Sandwiches are awesome. My favorite food of the whole week - a Creme Brulee in the Main Dining room.

The service on this ship is to be commended and commended again. Not ever did I have to wait for anything, ask more than once, and was always greeted by a smile and great attitude.

The ports - Alaska was fun, and beautiful. Victoria was really awesome, but I wish I had not spent the money for Butchart Gardens as it was in the evening and you can't see much. I would have LOVED it in daylight.

Tracy Arm was incredible, and the highlight of our trip!

Contrary to what we'd been told, we did see wildlife, and ice, even in September.

All in all, a great trip - a great ship! Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe Deck c333

Great spot in mid ship - quiet, close to laundry facilities. Huge balcony.

Mendenhall Glacier

(5)
Great tour, good tour guide, and beautiful beyond my expectations! We even saw bears in September!

Saxman Native Village

(3)
The totem poles were interesting, our guide was a local Native American who gave some great insight. I wish that there was a bit more development as a tourist area, as some of where we stopped was kind of dirty and nasty.

White Pass Scenic Railway

(5)
Long tour, and lots of things to see. Great way to spend the day!

Butchart Gardens

(2)
In the daylight, this tour would be great. In the dark, it was an almost total waste of money. The only reason I didn't give it a 1 rating is that the tour guide was really awesome, and it's not his fault I was stupid enough to book this tour at night.