Celebrity Century Cruise Review by Wapascu: Disappointed

Disappointed

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

I was a first time cruiser. I will go again, but not with Celibrity Century. Although some of my experience was ok with the cruise, i was totaly disappointed. Getting on the ship was good, but then we did not know what to do after that, as being first time cruisers, we went to our cabin but we were not allowed to go there as they were still cleaning. so then we decided to explore the ship with our backpacks and bags, that was a nuisance of course. I was prewarned that drinks and pop are extra so I was prepared for that. We went to deck 12 and had a fancy drink, that part was ok. We finally went down to our cabin and unloaded our backpacks to which our luggage was not there yet, so we then decided to explore some more.
FOOD
Over the next 7 days the buffet food was cold all the time, even when they just opened up. To me this was just like camp food (not very good). The dining room was different, the food there was aleast luke warm most of the time, they did have a More varity of options, but the portions were very small, so when you had an entree, you also had soup and then the main course and then desert just to get full. They did have a couple of different dinning rooms, but the munro, you have a 15.00 cover charge and also have to pay for the food, the cova cafe you had to pay for everything, including coffee and tea, the hemispere you had to pay for everything including coffee and tea,and bottled water. So the only place to eat which was included in you price was the buffet and the Grand dining room. So on this note be asking your travel agency about this.
SERVICE
The waiters and waitress were excellent except on the last day of your trip. They went out of their way to do things and talk to you, but on the last day of your trip when you went in for breakfast, they did not bring you the service to which you had all week, everything was slow and they forgot to bring things. The stateroom attendant was also excellent until the last couple of days before leaving the ship. The beds were made and the bathroom was cleaned daily, and when you arrived after dinner your bed was turned down with a choc on the bed, except the day before leaving.
When I booked this trip there was suppose to be a 50 dallor onboard credit along with a bottle of champage and choc dipped strawberries. i got none of this and when i asked at the client registration they knew nothing of this, i have the advertisment on my email and will be discussing this with my travel agency, this is false advertisement.
Gratuties
They charge you additional gratuties when you book your trip and pay for it, also when you have a massage you get charged and additional gratuties. You can however reverse the gratuties and just tip, but you need to do this before a certain day when you are onboard. This is also something I will be discussing with my travel agency.
ACTIVITIES
We were on the ship for 4 days before docking at our first dock, so there should have been lots of activities onboard, but that was most disappointed of all. The did have lots of excersise with this person and that person and lots of triva games. A movie at 3 and 6, but the dining room opened at 6 so you would go to dinner at this time. Showtimes were at 7 and 9, all they had on this was the names of people for example; stepehen III to which I do not know who this is and found out later he is a comedian. In the daily letter that was delivered to our stateroom, i would have thought that there would be more information on the showtimes. I also expected there to be dances, there where however ballroom dance lessons, but i could not find where they held dances.
On the day before the last day you were given tags to put on your luggage, and they tags were also used to identify when you left the ship, they would call numbers and that is when you left the ship. You were to leave your stateroom and sit in the lounges, only problem there, there was not enough roomm and so people were sitting where ever they could and could not hear the numbers when being called. when i asked about this, they said they did not need to announce it over the pa system and i said when we could not hear them where we were sitting, the staff member was very rude to this matter.
It was a very good experience for me, but the person that i went with has gone on 2 other cruises to alaska and was very disappointed with this cruise line.
SHORE EXCURSIONS
These are very expensive, be prepared to spend a lot. we went on the salmon bake which wa 46.00 each, at juneau, all it was, was a bus ride to a certain spot, get off the bus go to the tented area fill your plate with food and salmon, a person was playing the guitar and singing and leave, not worth the money. we also went on the log sawing at Kitshechun, the act itself was great, but when you went to the guide just off the ship he said: go that way for 3 block and then turn left and then right, WOW we should have followed a guide there but instead we walked to find this place, good thing we talked to someone else on the ship and had a general idea where we went, so I truly think the ship should not be paid for this shore excusion, the act was very worthwhile.
So I have learned a lot but i found that this cruise line was geared for the rich and old. Also the ship is very old and a lot of people got sea sick because the ship was very rocky even though we were on the inside. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century Inside Stateroom Panorama Deck (8)

We had an inside cabin, which we though would be fine, because we also thought we would not be spending a lot of time in there. But then again we were wrong, we both got sea sick because of the ship rocking alot. There was only one plug in and it was right under the mirror so everytime we opened the mirror to get something out it would knock out what was ever in the plug in, we needed to charge our cell phones and battery charger so we were taking turns all the time. The closet was big enough, and one suitcase would fit under the bed and the other in the closet. The TV remote would not work half the time. There was always air flowing in the room which was good because you could not open an window.

Culinary Tour

(1)
Salmon bake This was totally not worth going, you went on a bus, got off the bus had a meal and left, nothing else

Lumberjack Show

(5)
This was totally worth while except the guide was not good, he gave us directions on how to get there in a town to when we have never been before, i think that the guide should have lead us to where we were suppose to go.