Star Princess Cruise Review by tootsie60: Trip to Alaska

Trip to Alaska

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

We started out in Seattle, spent 4 days there seeing the sights. We stayed in the Mediterranean Inn (I've already reviewed that great little place). I suggest eating at Ten on Mercer and Toulouse Petit. If you're able go see Mt. Rainier, Breathtaking. Also lots of walking so make sure you're in shape.

I was very happy with the boarding process on the ship, it was short and painless. We were on the odd side of the ship, after all the research I did seemed better to avoid the noise of the Disco. My sisters were in E 729 and had a balcony about 2x the size of ours as it was at the back of the ship. Steward opened the partitions between the two. The mini sweet was well worth the upgrade. The 'Gourmet Italian Restaurant' on the ship wasn't really worth the extra money but the Crown Grill Defiantly was. We did not get reserved seating as we didn't want to eat w/ my dad's drunk wife for every meal and you can make reservations in the other restaurants that are also free and More can eat when you want.

Ketchican was the first stop. We arrived on time and spent the morning in the town. We stopped at Annabelle's Keg and Chowder house and had great service and the the bacon cheeseburger sliders were AWESOME. The chowder was good but it was really this, guess I'm more of a Boston Chowder Girl. We also ate early and avoided the crowd. We went zip lining and it was incredible. I am terrified of heights and was worried about being able to stop (George of the Jungle was my favorite cartoon and couldn't get that silly song out of my head). Dean and Katie were very confident so I trusted them and it was right up there with parasailing!

Tracy Arm Fjord (I love that word) was absolutely not to be missed. It was really clear for us so we were able to go pretty far back and get really close to the glacier. There are no words to describe how spectacular it was. Very cool morning but the afternoon warmed right up to the point I needed sun screen.

Arrived Juneau right on time. We took the public tram up to Mt. Robert and did about a 2 mile hike on top.
Paid someone to take us to Mendenhall Glacier. Don't talk yourself out of going it was spectacular. We hit the Red dog Saloon and it was really fun, the bar tender Jake is hysterical!(maybe it was the beer)

Skagway we took the train to the top of white pass. This is not to be missed, again spectacular. Really cool town, the buildings are about 100 years old and have lots of character.

British Columbia Victoria we went to the Bouchard Gardens, they were beautiful but really expensive to get there and get in. I wish we had just stayed in the town to look around.

General Advice: We had a great time using the spa facilities it was really expensive but had so much fun with my sisters, daughter and husband. If you are going with a large group take some walkie talkies with you unless you want to pay for international roaming. Go the last week of July or the first 2 wks of August for best chance of good weather. The mini sweets are WELL worth the upgrade as well as having our own balcony. If you don't already have the National Parks passport books, get some you will have plenty of opportunity to get them stamped in the Customer Service buildings. I understand the Norwegian line is faster but the ships r smaller. We absolutely had a fabulous time. Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Dolphin Deck E 727

I cannot complain about our cabin at all, my sisters were next door and had the largest balcony. Rooms were well kept, spacious (especially the closet), loved the balcony.

Didn't get enough time here, did go to Bouchard Gardens. It was beautiful but really expensive.
Read 553 Victoria Reviews