Carnival Magic Cruise Review by madampolo: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Sail Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

I have very mixed feelings about this cruise. First, what upset me the most. The ship sailed at 4:00, and there was a mandatory safety briefing at 3:30. That briefing took place while the mid-ship elevators were, but for one, deactivated for luggage delivery. The briefing was conducted in both English and Spanish. So, after a five minute speech in English, it was repeated in Spanish forcing everyone to listen. There should be two separate briefings so you could choose which to attend. The briefings took SO long that the ship sailed, and we missed the sailing!! I had so wanted to see us sail out of Galveston. When the briefing was over, crowds hit the elevators with only one working. The able-bodied were able to take six flights of stairs, but not we who cannot take the stairs other than like one step at a time. The elevators should have been put back in use for 15 minutes to clear out those crowds, and the sailing would not have been missed. As it was, it took us 45 More minutes to catch that one working elevator. I was incensed! And cheated! When we returned to Galveston at the end, it was dark.

The ship is beautiful, and the staff is wonderful. They said there have been cutbacks, but I noticed none. The food in the dining room was great, but I didn't much care for the Lido Marketplace food. However, you won't go hungry.

The pool water is saltwater, and that isn't pleasant to get into your mouth. The hot-tub water isn't hot, but barely warm. Still, everything was clean.

Key West and Nassau were beautiful, but Freeport wasn't. Spend your time in those two ports, and pass up Freeport.

Try the room service at least once. It is nice. Menus are on the TV.

There are only 26 movies to choose from at $11 a pop. That isn't many, and we found none that were worth renting.

We were off the ship in 50 minutes after our zone was called. Not bad.

I loved the cruise, except for the very start of it. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>