Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by me2012

Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: E2
See More About: Adventure of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Shore Excursions 5+

My first Royal Caribbean
I was traveling solo. I met a few people on board who were traveling solo too - nobody was surprised. Overall the cruise was very good, but the things can't be perfect...

Organization - all was working like a clock: embarkation, checking-in, schedules, etc.

Cabin - no faults. There was no vibration or other noises. Interior was showing some wear and tear, but everything was spotless. I saw the cabin attendant scrubbing already clean surfaces a few times.

Food: sloppy presentation and dripping salads in Windjammer. Cold scrambled eggs and bacon in restaurant buffet breakfast. I started going to a la carte for breakfast and ordered eggs over easy - these were hot. The toast and coffee - not so good. Some strange or inadequate dishes in dinner menu. I understand it's hard to cook perfectly for 3000+ people, but one of the solutions would be not to pretend that they know how to cook sophisticated or ethnical dishes. Also, there must be enough cooks on board - it's not a surprise that there are so many passengers.

Service - I already mentioned cabin attendant. Excellent service at dinner, where there was the same team every night. Not so good at breakfast and lunch, where they knew they would not get tips from accidental patrons. Bars: mostly OK, but very aggressive and rude in the Lyric theater. Some servers either ignored the customers who didn't order to their liking, or they were running around competing with each other and overwhelming the guests.

Entertainment. Cruise Director and his team were very good. They also had a funny and informative daily show on TV. Production shows had a few good moments, but were mostly mediocre. The songs and dances from the 50ies and 60ies prevailed, although there were no more than 30 per cent of Seniors on board. It was good to know that there were a few celebrities on board, but they were obsolete... Ice show: since somebody fell every few minutes, the show didn't look so good.

Itinerary - perfect. It's a shame Malaga cruises are almost over. 4 ports visited(not including Malaga): Valencia, Civitavecchia(Rome), Livorno(Florence and Pisa), Ajaccio(Corsica). Ship tours: I took two, Rome and Florence - very good. I also liked TV travel shows about the cities we had just visited.

Shopping - not too exiting. I expected something extraordinary from Promenade -not really. Service in shops was not very good either. If I understood correctly, the staff there are not RCI employees - but still...They also told me that I could get VAT refund in Malaga for all duty-free items I bought, but failed to explain that I should request a special form. No wonder, I didn't get my refund. My fault, of course.

Rip-off is what most people complain about, and it's annoying. You have to watch your back all the time. Everybody knows about bars. But it's not nice that a request for additional tip is printed on cash receipt. The shuttle in Valencia was $15 per person, while taxi was $15 per car. The airport transfer in Malaga was 'strongly recommended' for $27, while taxi is $20. There were envelopes distributed for head waiter - I saw him twice, he didn't do anything for me, and I hope he has his salary. I heard before RCI requested tips for maitre d' - not on this cruise. I haven't seen maitre d' anyway.

Publication Date: 09/15/12