Oosterdam Cruise Review by Cholestria: Great Cruise - Don't do open seating

Great Cruise - Don't do open seating

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

My fiance and I picked this cruise because the reviews suggested there would be few children and it was not a party ship. We're under 35, we just don't have any interest in night clubs or sharing a pool with lots of screaming children. The Oosterdam lived up to that with much more. The room was big (we had a balcony) and our service was great. Our room steward figured out that I was using all the ice to make ice packs for my back injury and started keeping my ziploc bag filled with ice for me.

I thought the food was pretty good, certainly better than Carnival's, but the Lido selection was pretty small. Our dining room steward remembered the types of tea we liked and he even found as at one of the afternoon teas and brought us our tea right away. Excellent service. However, on the one night we wanted to do open seating so that we could make it to a movie showing. This was a mistake. I'm pretty sure Burger King offers better service than the open seating in the Vista. The line More was long, but there were tons of open tables. The service was insanely slow. It took us 2 hours to get through dinner and we skipped coffee/tea to finally escape. There were plenty of servers literally standing around not doing anything (our table was near their prep area and I could see them standing in there leaning against the counters doing nothing). We also spoke with a few other passengers who told us they weren't enjoying open seating either.

The Tracy Arm was great and we got up pretty close to the glacier. Our ports were great and it was even nice and sunny for as well.

I liked the ship, not too big, but with everything you need. I really liked the movie theater and the aft (no-kids) hot tubs. The crow's next and Library were really nice too.

I would recommend this ship and itinerary highly. Just don't do open seating. Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Oosterdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Verandah 5157

Good room, quiet hallway, nice see-through balcony, great view of Tracy Arm.

We went to the Mendenhall Glacier. It was great to get up close to the waterfall and the glacier.
Read 838 Juneau Reviews

Zip-lining

(4)
We went ziplining. It was fun and we had a private tour since we booked independently.

Kayaking

(5.5)
We went sea kayaking to an island and then hiked around exploring abandoned WWII era army buildings. We saw sea stars and a sea lion. It was excellent.