Star Princess Cruise Review by hippychick925

Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: AB
Cabin Number: D962
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
Star Princess to Alaska
This is our 4th Princess cruise, so I'm comparing this to our previous Princess cruises>

Accomodations: Ship itself is in great condition. We loved our AB class mini-suite. Room was very clean. Lowell De Leon was our room steward, and he was awesome! He was always around, but not intrusive at all. He was very friendly, attentive & hardworking. Our cabin was towards the back & was in a great location. We never heard any noise!

Food: We were very disappointed with our food on this cruise. It was mediocre at best. We also heard this sentiment from many others on this cruise. I think the only night my entree' was actually any good was the lobster night. I ordered fish a couple of times, and both times it was rubbery. My "filet" was about 1/2 inch thick & rubbery...but my husband's was good...so no consistency there. I know they are cooking for 3,000 ppl, but I've always had good food in the past on our Princess cruises. We grew tired of the mediocre food, so tried the Crown Grill one night. My filet was great. Hubby's porterhouse was terrible. The buffet is not my thing, but we were forced to eat there for breakfast & lunch a few times since they no longer have dining room open on port days. I had a hard time finding anything to eat. I usually just ate dessert!

Entertainment: Very disappointing. Nothing in the Explorers Lounge at night other than trivia games or Wii bowling... Went to see the comedian one night, only to be told he was a no-show on the boat...we left for the casino. We ended up in the casino most every night, b/c we couldn't find anything else to do after dinner...but maybe this is their ulterior motive? If so, smoking should be banned every night! It only takes 1 stinky cigarette to ruin our clothes & hair. There was usually good music in the Piazza every night, but very few chairs so you have to stand around to listen.

Ports: It's hard to rate the ports since it was very rainy for Ketchikan & Juneau. Our excursions were cancelled for both ports. Skagway was fun. We did the White Pass rail/Yukon expansion bridge/Jewell Gardens with lunch. Don't waste your money on the Butchart Gardens excursion! It was pitch black by the time we got there! We could tell they were probably gorgeous! But we could only see the flowers directly beneath the lighting along the pathways:(

We are really hoping this was an exception to the rule with Princess, and this will not be the standard Princess cruise. We have loved the food & entertainment on previous 3 cruises with them. It may be a while before we give them another shot though!

Publication Date: 09/12/12