Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by rmang53: Had a great vacation

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Had a great vacation

Sail Date: August 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans

Our group was myself, wife, son and daughter in law. This was our second cruise, both with Carnival. We flew in from Ohio. Worrying about the hurricane that was brewing in the gulf.
We pre-purchased the Carnival shuttle from the airport to the port. Went very smooth.

Embarkation- We got to the pier around noon, checked the bags when we got off the buss.
And then we were stuck in quit a long line before finally boarding the ship. Got to our
room, freshened up and headed to the Ledo deck for lunch.

The second day was rockin a bit from the storm, but no rain. The Captain informed all of the storm location and said not to worry. He steered around it perfectly. Although, there were
a More lot of sea sick people the second day. Not us though.

Main Dining- We had late dining . The food was good , not crazy good, but I am not a real picky eater, so all was good for me. The service was a bit slow, but no need to be in a hurry anyway. The waiters were just OK.
Mr, V, the Matradee, was great. He always was very friendly and made you feel welcome.

Buffet dining- Very good selection of good food. We always had lunch there. Dinner was served starting at 6:00.
So we would get a little to eat before our main dinner at 8:30.The food was the same as served in the dinning room.

We went to the rear dining room for breakfast. Much more relaxed and just as quick as the buffet.

There was only one "main" show on the cruise. It was postponed a few days because of rough seas the second day.
It was very good.
One night there was a juggling comedy act. Also very good.
The other show was the one where quests can perform on stage. It was the same show that I saw on another
cruise (Glory) 2 years prior. It also was entertaining and funny.

Cruise directors Squishy and Gary are great.

Stop at Jamaica- We purchased an all inclusive at Sunset beach resort. All you can eat and drink from 10:00 to 4:00. Beach, pools and hotel were all good. They had a big buffet lunch set up in a big pavilion area.

Stop at Grand Camen- Took taxi to 7 mile beach. The last time we were there the taxi took us to a public beach much further from the pier. This time they stopped at a private access and it cost a couple buck to get to beach. Not a big deal, but I preferred the other beach area, much less crowded. Be sure to ask the taxi which beach area they are going to.

Stop at Cozumel - Boat docked at town. We had no excursion booked and walked into town for shopping. Typical small Mexican
shops all over town. All trying to get you money. We did buy some souvenirs, but the sellers "badgering" is very annoying.

They take a LOT of pictures on the cruises . You can choose to have them , or not.
Also , there is a LOT of drinks being sold all the time. Again no pressure to buy if you want or not.

The casino is Very smoke filled. I didn't realise there was that many smokers still.
I would think Carnival would try to minimize this a little more. I guess smokers are big spenders & gamblers.

All in all the boat was very clean and pleasant (other than the casino)
Plenty of deck chairs by the pool areas.

We had an earlier flight than most and Carnival made sure we were one of the first to depart. We did "self assist"
and carried all our luggage with us. Worked well.

Had a great time. We will be back!! Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Upper 6229

Cabin- We had a balcony cabin on the port side of the Upper Deck. Very nice and clean cabin. I was concerned about the view, being over the life boats. But it was a perfect view. Our cabin was sort of in the front just as the waves were breaking. Very quiet room.