Norwegian Star Cruise Review by ggtirevite: Cruise shortened by TS Leslie

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Bermuda Cruises

Cruise shortened by TS Leslie

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was my second cruise at sea. We were leaving, uncertain where we were going, as TS Leslie was heading towards Bermuda. Once we left port, the captain confirmed that they were monitoring the storm, would make the decision en route, with the Bahamas/Port Canaveral as the alternate. We eventualy went to Bermuda, but left a day early, spending two days in port, rather than the planned 3.

The food was decent, not great. Avoid the Ginza restaurant, as nothing there tasted authentically Asian. The good upgrade option is La Cucina, the Italian restaurant for $10 per person. We had a very good shripm risotto and a great Osso Bucco.; the beef carpaccio was very good, and don't forget the tiramisu, which my wife said 'best ever', strangely for a ship. The menu at the two restaurants (Aqua and Versailles) is the exact same, only difference is atmosphere and dress code (no shorts at Versailles, still not too dressy).

Good entertainment selection, including the typical Bingo, More a casino with the usual games. Good shows on board. The only negative is Jorgos, apparently an award-winning magician, whose introduction including accomplishments is almost longer than the show itself. I took a total two 7 day cruises, the other was in the Mediterranean with MSC, and we had Jorgos then too! Unless you are a 5 year old, you'll likely think as we do that this is the lamest magic show you've ever seen. This might be reason enough to pick another cruise (sorta kidding, I guess), other than for the fact that you have no clue as to the entertainment selections until you board.

The service on board though was excellent. Several servers, waiters, etc went out of their way to make us feel special! Including Joseph our cabin attendant, and Mukesh and Vanya in the Versailles restaurant.

I also took in a massage on my birthday (thanks honey for the gift certificate), and it was wonderful. Be on the alert though for a hard sell for beauty products, I got caught. I also took in the ship tour, a pricey $55, but worth every penny. The ships navigator, who couldn't have been more than 25 years old, described every aspect of the bridge systems, answered every question.

Overall, a very relaxing 7 days, and even though our itinerary got tweaked, the captain kept us informed every day, and we were thankful for leaving early to be kept safe and smooth sailing. .

We took advantage of the early disembarkation (taking our luggage). Leaving shortly after the first announcement, we avoided all the lines and were out of the terminal in less an 20 minutes. On the terminal, we looked up at the ship at the lines to get out, thinking that it would have taken at least another hour, had we left later. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Nine 9566

Don't pick cabin 9566, which has incredible creaking when the ship goes through waves. But the ocean view cabin category is decent sized with a nice bathroom. Only one chair on the balcony though ...