Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by 12nightMedCruiseNCL

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by 12nightMedCruiseNCL
Norwegian Spirit
Norwegian Spirit
Member Name: 12nightMedCruiseNCL
Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: BC
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Great itinerary,staff,& boat. Nickle and diming too much
This was the third NCL Cruise my wife and I went on in 3 years and this was the 12 night Grand Mediteranean Cruise. The itinerary sounded great and it did not disappoint. We also had read some reviews saying the boat was old, etc but while it wasn't brand new it didn't detract from our experience at all. We actually felt it was well maintained and the crew on board was great which left us very happy with it. Some things to note are... gym is way too small if this important to you; boat probaly has 1 less restaurant than ideal for a 12 night itinerary; entertainment was only average; in ports like Ephesus you are over 1 hr from where most attractions are vs. some other ports that could be utilized. Excursions through boat, while nice and organized, were grossly over priced vs other options off the boat or doing it through other companies. Easily 2 to 3x more.

That being said one think that really rubbed us the wrong way was the that they charge you a mandatory fee to get of the boat and get to town in Livorno/Florence. The fee wasn't very high, ( less than $10 USD per person) but what rubs you the wrong way was that the cruise is supposed to cover port charges and taxes so one would think that would be included. Again when you are paying $7 for a beer on the boat, this is not a lot of money, but it is more principle and indicative of the attitude of NCL. I get it, the cost to get on the boat isn't very high, but any add on's are. Trust me this isn't just NCL, but most of the commercialized cruise lines, but this was something that I have never seen before on any other lines except NCL. Further maybe firing me up a little was that our trip to Mykonos was canceled due to weather (not in NCLs control) but I didn't see any money back for those port charges?

So in short, was the itinerary good, yes. Was the crew good, yes; did we have a nice time, yes. Unfortunately though I actually canceled my future cruise plans with NCL over this incident. I just think I am viewing this as symbolic of the way NCL makes their decisions which leaves me wondering what other decisions I don't see may be made in a manner different than I would. Perhaps it is time I just got some variety.

Publication Date: 09/10/12