Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by cruzlover64: Alaska is Awesome!

cruzlover64
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Spirit Alaska Cruises

Alaska is Awesome!

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

We also were NOT impressed with the dining room. Food was mediocre at best. One daughter and I both got one of our favorite desserts - creme brulee - mine was pretty good - my daughter's was scrambled eggs - yuck! Another night there was an apple dessert that I wanted to try - it said it came with vanilla ice cream - I'm still waiting for the ice cream :-( First time I've come home from a cruise a half a pound lighter than when I left - I guess that is a good thing. We had a fun morning when my father challenged my oldest to eat 10 whole grapefruits - she was successful and he paid her $20.

Our cabin steward was AWESOME. His name was Yuda - we called him Yuda Man :-)

Alaska - we LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it and my oldest after meeting the guys who took care of us zip lining (who by the way knew our names after about 5 minutes - unlike the dining staff) and the girl who drove us out to the Dog Sled Musher Camp - is now looking into going to Alaska next summer as a tour More guide.

Not sure what the point of stopping in Victoria was - I would have rather more time in either Juneau or Ketchikan.

We too took advance of the Luggage Express (is this a new feature? are all cruiselines doing this? I don't recall this being offered before). What a terrific service - especially seeing I was able to check all bags under just me and didn't have to pay the $20 for each of my girls - I was able to check them in on my phone.

My mother after much searching found the quilting group and enjoyed meeting up with them.

While in Seattle we had a dinner at the Crab Pot - FANTASTIC and we went to the Chihuly exhibit - that was TERRIFIC.

End up with about 500 photos - making a vacation dvd for my parents. It really was terrific for my kids and I to get so much time with my parents.

All and all it was a terrific trip and I'd really like to go back one day. Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Balcony Empress

I thought the room was great - I was expecting a bunk and was pleasantly surprised by the soda turned bed. There was plenty of storage and we were not constantly tripping over each other and our belongings as we have had on previous cruise. A little surprise by the poor design of balcony dividing door - I would have thought they would have found a way to swing the divider up rather than to the side - having it swing up would allow an unobstructed view from both cabins.

Dog Sledding

(5.5)
We were pickup right on time on the pier. After a short drive we arrived at the camp. We were loaded onto a cart with wheels and the dogs were eager to take off. It was an exhilarating ride. Our Musher was very informative - she is training her dogs to enter the 2014 Iditarod. As we were the last tour of the day and the dogs were eager we got to take a second ride. Then we met the dogs and were told about each of their personalities and why they were in the pulling position they were in. Then we went to an area where they show you all the gear that is used on these races. It was a very hands on experience. We also got to play with the 10 week old pups and then the 4 week old - so cute. We each gained a lot of respect for the mushers and the dogs. Fascinating sport.

Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour

(5.5)
As I am borderline obsessed with the show the Deadliest Catch - taking this excursion was a no brainer. The crew was terrific and I learned even more about crab fishing. I have a lot of respect for these guys and the challenges they face.

Zip-lining

(5.5)
Can not say enough good things about this - loved every bit of it as did my girls who are in their early 20's and my mom who turned 75 on the trip. The five guys who were responsible for us were terrific - within minutes they knew all of our names and cheered us on every step or flight :-)