Carnival Valor Cruise Review by bhtravel: Nice Cruise

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Southern Caribbean Cruises

Nice Cruise

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean

My friend and I cruised on the Carnival Valor that left Miami on 8/18/2012. The ship was nice (a fairly typical lay out), and the food was good. Now that I'm home, I miss having dessert with every meal! We really enjoyed seeing the comedians, as well as watching the Carnival Legends Show and the 80's Show and Break Dancing. We had multiple days at sea and noticed that there were not really very many activities to do during the day that sounded interesting. I would have liked to have attended more of the trivia games during the day, but they were almost always in the Casino, which allows smoking. One day time activity that we really enjoyed was tea time. I would recommend you get there on time so you have the best selection of food. We also really enjoyed the Adults only pool and Serenity. Such a great idea!

We ended up being out at sea an extra 36 hours due to Hurricane Isaac. Overall, I think Carnival handeled this situation very well. The staff was very professional, worked More very hard, and never complained. The only complaint I have is that no one every warned us that we were going to be hitting any rough waters. (We started hitting the rough waters when we were hundreds of miles away from Isaac, so we weren't expecting it.) We were woken up one morning at 4 am and the boat was rocking back and forth very strongly, the bureau drawers were opening and slamming shut, and the hallway and bathroom doors could be heard rattling. We had never experienced this before, and it was frightening. Looking back, I realize we were very safe but it would have been reassuring if they had made an overhead announcement to just reassure everyone.

Overall I really enjoyed this cruise. I think I may not cruise during prime hurricane season again, although this is the 3rd cruise I've been on this time of year and this was the first time we ever had any problems. Like I said before, I think Carnival responded very well to the weather. I really do appreciate that the safety of the passengers and crew was their # 1 concern! I highly recommend this cruise! :) Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Oceanview Riviera

(5.5)
We went to Aruba next, which was amazing and was our favorite! We went parasailing with Delphi Watersports (located in front of Hyatt in Nord). We had a great experience and would highly recommend! We then spent the rest of the afternoon on Palm Beach, which is where we went skydiving. Palm Beach is crowded but very pretty and the water was perfect! :) We walked across the street from the Hyatt to enjoy some dinner and shopping. We went to Soenchi's Aruban Cuisine, which was amazing. We got a 3 course meal for either $30 or $35 pp, which was expensive but worth every penny. We were so sad to leave Aruba!
Read 682 Aruba Reviews

The first port we visited was Grand Turk. We just went to the beach right by the boat. We made a quick stop at the shops and at Maragaritaville. Very enjoyable day!

Next we visited La Romana, which we enjoyed as well. We went to Catalina Island, which I highly recommend. There were probably 20-30 people on our boat, and we were the only people on that stretch of beach. There were other boats docked further down on the island, but they were so far away you couldn't see them. I also got a 30 minute massage for $25, which was great. After the beach, we went into La Romana briefly. This was nice, but tourism lady told us it was only a 7 minute cab ride each way.. It took 35 minutes to get there. Just make sure you plan for plenty of time so you don't have to race back to your ship like we did! :)

We were supposed to go to Curaco, but due to the hurricane, we skipped this port to try to make it back to Miami on time. We did end up stopping at Nassau, Bahamas instead. This was my least favorite port. The beaches are ok here but not wonderful. We went to Cable Beach, which I think cost about $4 pp for cab ride, which was a good price. They do have a fair amount of shopping in Nassau, which some might enjoy. They also have the Atlantis here, but I didn't think it was worth the $100 + per person to hang out there for the day... Not after having such fine amenities on the cruise ship
Read 2624 Nassau Reviews