Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by True Texan

Cabin Category: 8G
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Our Cruise on the Triumph
To start out with we are a couple in our 60's and have cruised on the Dream, Magic, Conquest, Freedom and Voyager of the Seas, so you can say that we are "seasoned" cruisers.

We booked this five day cruise in June on a "Senior Rate" and got our room assignment in July. Room 7428 (aft extended balcony). We have never had an aft before so the uncertainties set in for me but I decided that I could do anything for 5 days. My fears were unwarranted. The room, while a little smaller, still had a couch and plenty of storage for 2 people on a five day cruise ( and my husband can really over pack). The bathroom has a very large medicine cabinet and a shelf below the sink. We had no problem with some of the things I had read about, no soot, no extra vibration, no noise what so ever, and although it is true you have less privacy on an aft we had wonderful people on either side of us so it was great. The view is to die for!!

It is true the Triumph is an older ship but while I spotted a little rust and a few areas of "extra caulking" she is kept clean and had some wonderful staff working hard to see that our cruise was just great.

Our steward kept us in ice and that is about all we ask for. There are no fridges in "regular" rooms on the Triumph.

We asked for early dining and got late but went to the matre d' and requested early dining and sitting with a group. We got the best tablemates ever and had a wonderful time every night. The food was great! And the service was top notch. We started dinner at 6 pm and we were through by 7:45 every night.

We only went to one show and I forgot the name but it was really good. We spent some time in the casino and went to a dance club for Motown Night once. Also watched some football on the big screen one night. The band that was in the casino was really good and we stayed there a lot watching and participating a little in the dancing.

In Progresso we rode the double decker bus (thank you Cruise Critic) and walked to the beach, got our massages ($25 for 1 hour) then ate lunch on the beach. Great day. Progresso is the only place we have been asked for a picture ID and ship card to get through the gate and onto the pier. Always before it has just been the ship card.

In Cozumel we went to Nachi (2nd time) and it was as peaceful as we remembered. We rented a jet ski and us 2 old goats were flying all over the water, it was just great!!

We ate at the buffet 1 time for lunch and 2 times for breakfast, all our dinners we ate in the dining room, we also had hamburgers and hot dogs for lunch twice. We ate breakfast in the dining room 1 time to use our free drink coupon. We did not use room service. All food was very good and we were pleased that the lines were not bad and moved fast. They are really organized on that ship.

We went to the VIFP party and it was nice. The drinks are "normal" size and we had a good selection. We got all the appetizers we wanted and they were all good. Not near so crowded and a lot more personnel than the old Past Guest Party.

Some negatives we noticed, the main Lido pool was very loud constantly with loud rock or line dancing. I am sure the younger people love it but we would prefer some Caribbean Music. Never heard 1 song I would consider Caribbean the entire cruise. I miss it. I stayed at the aft pool most of the time for the peace and quite. This is silly but the toilet paper is awful. I do not remember it being so thin and rough before.

We will jump at the chance to cruise on the Triumph again. I was surprised that we had so much fun packed in a 5 day cruise.

Publication Date: 09/09/12