“Arcadia to the Baltic”

kentquilter
Member Since 2011
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Just returned form 14 day cruise to Baltic on board Arcadia. Having read previous negative reviews I was a little apprehensive especially as two first time cruisers were accompanying us.I need not have worried.The cruise was most enjoyable with no real problems. Previous ships cruised on are Aurora, Oriana and Oceana. I'll limit my eview to comparing Arcadia with Aurora. Check-in - best yet. Quick. Efficient. On board within 25 miniutes from first driving up to port. Arcadia - Adult only - bliss. No children playing in the lifts and generally running around unsupervised.I like children but also like their parents to be with them, not me. Cabins - Arcadia superior - loved the glass fronted balcony, more hanging space and room for cases under bed. Public areas , shops, library etc - Aurora better - Arcadia very squashed and limited space. Cinema unable to cope with numbers. Food - I think probably food is not as good generally as it was a few years ago but it was fine. One tough steak but the one in Marco Pierre White melted in the mouth. Staff - delightful. Couldn't be more helpful on both ships. Laundrette - far too small on Arcadia but is this really an issue? Would I go on Arcadia again - most definitely, without a second thought. I would also recommend ALLA TOURS in St Petersburg. We had a fantastic, lets go to the front of the queue, two days. Saw all the sights in a group of 4 with our own guide. Cost about £220 each but P&O charge that for one morning in a group of 4.You don't pay a penny till the second morning and usually remain ahead of the crowds.
Arcadia Cruises to the Baltic Sea
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Deluxe Stateroom with Balcony and Bath/Shower

DF
Good size. Lots of hanging space and hangers. Cases fit under bed.Super glass fronted balcony. Well insulated. Quiet. Comfy bed. Decor and fittings a little tired - need a facelift. Helpful, attentive steward with a good sense of humour.

Port
Again we did our own thing. Easy to find your way around although Tivoli Gardens entrance takes a bit of finding.
Port
Can easily plan your own tour here. A lovely city. We walked extensively to include the Olympic Tower-great views- and gardens with monument to Sibelius in addition to the usual attractions.
Read 527 Helsinki Reviews
Port
Each time we've visited its rained with rather spoils things. The park with the sculptures well worth a visit. Had our only organised trip here, just a morning, and were pleased we did.
Read 224 Oslo Reviews
City Tour
FANTASTIC. Car and guide in our own group of 4.Agreed our programme on-line before we left UK.Thought it was expensive till we realised exactly what we were getting and the comparative price of P & O. English speaking guide who didn't believe in queuing. As we were off the ship early we remained ahead of the crowds all day. DAY ! 8.00 City Tour by river.Auror.Coffee. Canal trip round St Petersburg. Coffee. Hydofoil to Peterhof. Lunch. Catherine Palace. DAY 2 8.00 Payment. Shopping. Hermitage-early entry. Lunch-Russian. Church of Spilt Blood. Peter and Paul Fortress and Church. They organise everything, all paper work. All worked like clockwork.
Published 09/09/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Arcadia Review
Arcadia Cruises to the Baltic Sea
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?