Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by bondfire: Oasis of the Seas

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Oasis of the Seas

Sail Date: September 2012

My Mom and I sailed on the Oasis on August 25,2012. We are experienced cruisers having been on many lines and numerous times.

Here are several of my observations:

Being dropped off at Port Everglades was challenging this time as the port is under construction and the detour signage is quite poor. Cars are made to circle several times in front of the cruise baggage check in. They won't let you wait to pull in curbside, even if there is a car pulling out. Unless, there is a clear space, you keep driving around.

The check in upstairs was very simple and quick. Very organized and well staffed.

Once you get on the ship and find your on the Promenade Deck, you are left to figure out the location of the elevators and which ones you should use. Normally, when I get on a ship, there are crew members directing you. Not in this case.

When we got into our room, we were very disappointed. The sheets looked like they had been just slept in and there was a More wrapper and bobby pin on the carpet.

I found a cabin steward who then told me where to find mine. She was very apologetic and later when we returned everything had been redone.

The cabin was very small compared to others we had been on. The closet was about half the size of Princess Cruise Line's closets. We had to ask for extra hangers. Perhaps, if the closet didn't face the beds and didn't have sliding doors on it, they would be more manageable.

Under the dressing table, to the left side, were two 110 volt outlets. Yes, under the table. A difficult spot to get to and even harder to see the outlet. These are the only outlets in the cabin!!!!

The emergency muster drill was very simple. No need to trapse with your bulky life vest from your cabin. Instead you go to your assigned area, watch a video and are told that in case of a real emergency you will receive your vests at the muster stations.

We had prebooked a set time for "my time dining" and really liked it. No need to wait in lines. We were seated almost as soon as we got to the podium. The only issue we had a few times were that the wait staff seem overwhelmed and somewhat inattentive. I wondered if that might be because you prepay gratuities for my time dining so, they weren't trying to impress you for an additional tip.

The food was mediocre at best. The surf and turf was shrimp and fillet of shoulder. A cut of meat that not only have I never heard of but, wished I never even tried to taste. We were told that the menu was changing beginning with the very next cruise. Hopefully, that meant a better quality!

The entertainment was top notch. Every show was wonderful and we were glad we booked them early and on line. The lines were quite long for those who did not plan ahead.

The ship is beautiful and it never felt too large. We even ran into the same people on many occasions.

The pool chairs were plentiful even with a full load and there were many spots to get away from the crowds. The aqua theater pool was used for the sexy legs, belly flop and other contests. That kept the pools open and uninterrupted.

There could be more towel stations for drop offs and new ones. I think I only found one and there were lines. If you don't return your towels there is a fee automatically charged to your cabin.

One major concern for us was the walking distance between getting off the ship and getting to the exit at each of the ports. In St. Thomas they had a few small golf type carts to take the elderly or people who needed extra help. However, in Nassau we only saw "one" small bus and it took awhile to go back and forth. Neither of these modes of transportation were announced and we only found them as we walked. I think RCCL should have better options for those that need help.

All in all, we loved the ship and are still amazed at how many people it holds!
Would like to try the new menu!!! Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 12 12668

Oasis Cat D6 Cabin 12668 Tiny closet, small bathroom, narrow room..best location!